Re: Pitching yeast

  • mavnkaf
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dbanjo0335" <dbanjo0335@...>
      wrote:

      > Is it better to add yeast straight to a sugar wash, or dissolve it
      in
      > water first? If adding dry, should it be stirred?

      If it's a packaged yeast with nutrients in it like a turbo yeast, you
      would follow the instructions. Or you would pitch the yeast straight
      into the wash at the right temprature.

      For dry yeast, in my case Bakers yeast, I mix about 50/50 wash and
      tap water and pitch when the temp is around 26 c. I do stir the
      yeast in because I pitch up to 100 grams at a time. Wait untill it
      foaming out of the container or 15 minutes or so ,then introduce the
      rehydryed yeast to the wash.

      Here is what the people from Lallemand say;

      http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp

      REHYDRATION

      Dissolve the dry yeast in 50 mL (2 oz)
      of warm NOT HOT water (40°- 43°C /
      104°-109°F). Let stand 15 minutes
      without stirring, then stir well to suspend
      all the yeast. Add to previously sulfited must.
      (The yeast should not be kept in the
      rehydration medium longer
      than recommended.)

      I hope this helps a little, I am no expert on this subject. Just
      remember the search funtion on this site is a fantastic tool.

      Cheers
      Marc