Pitching yeast

  • dbanjo0335
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2007
      Is it better to add yeast straight to a sugar wash, or dissolve it in
      water first? If adding dry, should it be stirred?
    • mavnkaf
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dbanjo0335" <dbanjo0335@...>
        wrote:

        > Is it better to add yeast straight to a sugar wash, or dissolve it
        in
        > water first? If adding dry, should it be stirred?

        If it's a packaged yeast with nutrients in it like a turbo yeast, you
        would follow the instructions. Or you would pitch the yeast straight
        into the wash at the right temprature.

        For dry yeast, in my case Bakers yeast, I mix about 50/50 wash and
        tap water and pitch when the temp is around 26 c. I do stir the
        yeast in because I pitch up to 100 grams at a time. Wait untill it
        foaming out of the container or 15 minutes or so ,then introduce the
        rehydryed yeast to the wash.

        Here is what the people from Lallemand say;

        http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp

        REHYDRATION

        Dissolve the dry yeast in 50 mL (2 oz)
        of warm NOT HOT water (40°- 43°C /
        104°-109°F). Let stand 15 minutes
        without stirring, then stir well to suspend
        all the yeast. Add to previously sulfited must.
        (The yeast should not be kept in the
        rehydration medium longer
        than recommended.)

        I hope this helps a little, I am no expert on this subject. Just
        remember the search funtion on this site is a fantastic tool.

        Cheers
        Marc