Re: [new_distillers] Lag Time

  • Brian B.
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
      A sugar wash can be kept for months if you rack it off the sediment into another air tight container.

      If the alcohol content is over  12% or so, without yeast and air and below about 68F, it'll keep for months, even years.

      Brian B.

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007

        I have distilled a wash after it had been sitting for 2 years and it was fine.

        Actually I had three one smelled like vinager so I dumped it.

        The other 2 smelled like the regular wine (ish) smell.

        No problem at all

        >How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a few
        >days is acceptable?? ?

      • Link D'Antoni
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
          A sugar wash is, plain and simple, a sugar wine.
          I will be running a 7 gallon sugar wash this weekend
          that was fermented 6 months ago. I've racked and
          added campden (sodium metabisulfite) after a month as
          I would any other wine.

          Link

          --- "Brian B." <brianlives@...> wrote:

          > A sugar wash can be kept for months if you rack it
          > off the sediment into another air tight container.
          >
          > If the alcohol content is over 12% or so, without
          > yeast and air and below about 68F, it'll keep for
          > months, even years.
          >
          > Brian B.

        • just me
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
            why add the camden tablets. why not let it finish fermenting if it isn't done yet. and what is the benefit of racking for 6 months. I am new to this and this is the first time I have heard of camden tablets for a sugar wash and the extended racking. thanks.

            life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.
          • Larry
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
              At 06:45 PM 09/03/2007, you wrote:
              >How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a few days
              >is acceptable???

              I didn't get around to running one for six months, recently, and it
              distilled just fine. I have another which I meant to get to, and has been
              sitting for about two months... hopefully it won't sit quite so long...
            • Link D'Antoni
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
                The campden is to sterilize from unwanteds AFTER
                fermentation is complete. Usually I do that a month
                after as I would with wine especially if i'm unsure
                when the wine/wash will be consumed/used.

                Link

                --- just me <hifa222@...> wrote:

                > why add the camden tablets. why not let it finish
                > fermenting if it isn't done yet. and what is the
                > benefit of racking for 6 months. I am new to this
                > and this is the first time I have heard of camden
                > tablets for a sugar wash and the extended racking.
                > thanks.
                >

                > life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.

                Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
                http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222