Re: Lag Time

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dbanjo0335" <dbanjo0335@...>
      wrote:

      > How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a
      few
      > days is acceptable???

      I've had my washes stored for weeks and its probably a good idea to do
      so. This allows the wash to clear so theres no sediment in your boiler
      and therefor no nasties to end up in the neutral spirit.I also seem to
      get a better yield the longer I leave it. I dont think you can store
      it too long as it will go off.
      Cheers
    • Brian B.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
        A sugar wash can be kept for months if you rack it off the sediment into another air tight container.

        If the alcohol content is over  12% or so, without yeast and air and below about 68F, it'll keep for months, even years.

        Brian B.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007

          I have distilled a wash after it had been sitting for 2 years and it was fine.

          Actually I had three one smelled like vinager so I dumped it.

          The other 2 smelled like the regular wine (ish) smell.

          No problem at all

          >How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a few
          >days is acceptable?? ?

        • Link D'Antoni
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
            A sugar wash is, plain and simple, a sugar wine.
            I will be running a 7 gallon sugar wash this weekend
            that was fermented 6 months ago. I've racked and
            added campden (sodium metabisulfite) after a month as
            I would any other wine.

            Link

            --- "Brian B." <brianlives@...> wrote:

            > A sugar wash can be kept for months if you rack it
            > off the sediment into another air tight container.
            >
            > If the alcohol content is over 12% or so, without
            > yeast and air and below about 68F, it'll keep for
            > months, even years.
            >
            > Brian B.

          • just me
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
              why add the camden tablets. why not let it finish fermenting if it isn't done yet. and what is the benefit of racking for 6 months. I am new to this and this is the first time I have heard of camden tablets for a sugar wash and the extended racking. thanks.

              life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.
            • Larry
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
                At 06:45 PM 09/03/2007, you wrote:
                >How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a few days
                >is acceptable???

                I didn't get around to running one for six months, recently, and it
                distilled just fine. I have another which I meant to get to, and has been
                sitting for about two months... hopefully it won't sit quite so long...
              • Link D'Antoni
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
                  The campden is to sterilize from unwanteds AFTER
                  fermentation is complete. Usually I do that a month
                  after as I would with wine especially if i'm unsure
                  when the wine/wash will be consumed/used.

                  Link

                  --- just me <hifa222@...> wrote:

                  > why add the camden tablets. why not let it finish
                  > fermenting if it isn't done yet. and what is the
                  > benefit of racking for 6 months. I am new to this
                  > and this is the first time I have heard of camden
                  > tablets for a sugar wash and the extended racking.
                  > thanks.
                  >

                  > life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.

                  Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222