Lag Time

  • dbanjo0335
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
      How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a few
      days is acceptable???
    • Garth
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dbanjo0335" <dbanjo0335@...>
        wrote:

        > How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a
        few
        > days is acceptable???

        I've had my washes stored for weeks and its probably a good idea to do
        so. This allows the wash to clear so theres no sediment in your boiler
        and therefor no nasties to end up in the neutral spirit.I also seem to
        get a better yield the longer I leave it. I dont think you can store
        it too long as it will go off.
        Cheers
      • Brian B.
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
          A sugar wash can be kept for months if you rack it off the sediment into another air tight container.

          If the alcohol content is over  12% or so, without yeast and air and below about 68F, it'll keep for months, even years.

          Brian B.

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007

            I have distilled a wash after it had been sitting for 2 years and it was fine.

            Actually I had three one smelled like vinager so I dumped it.

            The other 2 smelled like the regular wine (ish) smell.

            No problem at all

            >How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a few
            >days is acceptable?? ?

          • Link D'Antoni
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
              A sugar wash is, plain and simple, a sugar wine.
              I will be running a 7 gallon sugar wash this weekend
              that was fermented 6 months ago. I've racked and
              added campden (sodium metabisulfite) after a month as
              I would any other wine.

              Link

              --- "Brian B." <brianlives@...> wrote:

              > A sugar wash can be kept for months if you rack it
              > off the sediment into another air tight container.
              >
              > If the alcohol content is over 12% or so, without
              > yeast and air and below about 68F, it'll keep for
              > months, even years.
              >
              > Brian B.

            • just me
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
                why add the camden tablets. why not let it finish fermenting if it isn't done yet. and what is the benefit of racking for 6 months. I am new to this and this is the first time I have heard of camden tablets for a sugar wash and the extended racking. thanks.

                life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.
              • Larry
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
                  At 06:45 PM 09/03/2007, you wrote:
                  >How long can a sugar wash be stored before distilling? I assume a few days
                  >is acceptable???

                  I didn't get around to running one for six months, recently, and it
                  distilled just fine. I have another which I meant to get to, and has been
                  sitting for about two months... hopefully it won't sit quite so long...
                • Link D'Antoni
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
                    The campden is to sterilize from unwanteds AFTER
                    fermentation is complete. Usually I do that a month
                    after as I would with wine especially if i'm unsure
                    when the wine/wash will be consumed/used.

                    Link

                    --- just me <hifa222@...> wrote:

                    > why add the camden tablets. why not let it finish
                    > fermenting if it isn't done yet. and what is the
                    > benefit of racking for 6 months. I am new to this
                    > and this is the first time I have heard of camden
                    > tablets for a sugar wash and the extended racking.
                    > thanks.
                    >

                    > life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.

                    Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
                    http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222