Re: [new_distillers] Repost of an earlier posting that I should have never posted.

  • joe giffen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
      Hi,
      What are you trying to make?, One can distil anything that has been fermented, with a pot still you will get something although alcoholic it may or may not taste good. I sugest that you study  more  and try to make neutral spirit.

      newstillhead <newstillhead@...> wrote:
      First I would like to apologize for my seemingly babbling questions
      in my last 2 posts titled " Help with a first wash / run with ABV of
      the wash and temp " and "(Spell checked Help with a first wash / run
      with ABV of the wash and temp" I was up late and had a few beers
      prior to writing the posting. (This was NOT while working on the
      still). This will not happen in the future.

      I have a new (my first) rig, a pot still I made from a Keg and have a
      few questions before I do my first real run in it.

      Here is the recipe I am using that I got from the
      www.homedistiller. org site.

      One of my favorite recipes is simple: in a 5-gal (20L) bucket throw
      in 10-12 pounds (5kg) of white sugar, pour 2 1/2gal. (10L) of near
      boiling water in and stir well. Then mix 2 gal. (8L) of your favorite
      fruit juice. I've found that the more exotic the fruit the better
      flavor you get. toss a good sized handful of yeast on top, stir well
      cover the bucket and leave in a warm place for 2 weeks. Siphon into
      your still and cook at 180 degrees F (82C) and collect the spirit.
      One way to tell when to stop is when the liquid will no longer burn a
      bright blue flame.

      Total cost us without tax = $9.50 + water.

      I have already done a cleaning and pure water run with no issues
      (Other then finding minor leaks in the rig that I patched around the
      top of the keg) and am getting ready to actually try a real
      distilling run...

      I have 2 questions.

      1 - How much should I expect to collect on the first run? I intend to
      add all the collection to a second batch and redistill it.

      The Air lock shows it is actively giving off CO2 (This is a good
      thing). So the wash should be ready in 2 weeks for a Saturday run.

      2 - Are there any tricks to when to turn the heat down on the burner?

      My thermometer is at the base of the still head where it will
      measure the temp of the steam just as it enters the condenser column.
      It is a nice digital piece that has an alarm as I saw suggested. My
      rig will heat 4 US gallons from tap water temp to steam 208 F in
      aprox 30 minutes.

      Regards
      Joe

    • newstillhead
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
        Thanks for the reply.

        Right now I am just trying to get the hang of distilling. I want to
        see it in practice until I get a better feel of things like cleaning
        the rig, making a wash, cuts and heat management. I have no intention
        of drinking it yet. I am open to any tips to get me started.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...>