Re: Help with a first wash / run with ABV of the wash and temp

  • lockdude77
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "newstillhead"
      <newstillhead@...> wrote:

      > I have a wash I am trying I found on the main page. THis will end
      up
      > being my first run ever using a brand new pot still I have made in
      > Keg Pot Still.
      >
      > 5KG SUgar + 10 L of almost boiling watter. + 8L of 100% pure Juice
      +
      > A "handful of yeast" I u
      >
      > I have already done a cleaning and a pure watter run with no
      issues.

      > I have 2 questions.
      >
      > 1 - How much should I expect to collect on the first run. I intend
      > add all the collection to a second run of an identical batch. I
      plan
      > to let it fermint for 2 weeks.
      >
      > THe Air lock shows it is activly giving off CO2.
      >
      > 2 - Are there any tricks to when to turn the head donw on the
      burner.
      > I can reach 208F to boil watter with 30 from 4 US GL of tap watter
      in
      > aprox 26 minutes.
      >
      > Any sugestions?

      You will probably get a gallon off of it.Throw out the first 200ml
      that comes off the still,you dont want it.As far a the heat goes,I
      would heat it up somewhat slow,and when you start collecting,turn the
      heat down,and use just enough to keep it going.Depending on where
      your thermometer is located,It will start running someware between
      170-190f.Dont worry about it too much,just get to know your still.
      I usually stop collecting at 204f on my potstill.
      george
    • joe giffen
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
        Hi,
        I really do hate to say this but after Harry,s missive I think we (older members) have been trying to step up to the plate, but I can,t understand gobblegook. If your command of language is such as in this posting , well how are you going to understand or make anything, In fact you might damage yourself.

        <newstillhead@ ...> wrote:

        > I have a wash I am trying I found on the main page. THis will end
        up
        > being my first run ever using a brand new pot still I have made in
        > Keg Pot Still.
        >
        > 5KG SUgar + 10 L of almost boiling watter. + 8L of 100% pure Juice
        +
        > A "handful of yeast" I u
        >
        > I have already done a cleaning and a pure watter run with no
        issues.

        > I have 2 questions.
        >
        > 1 - How much should I expect to collect on the first run. I intend
        > add all the collection to a second run of an identical batch. I
        plan
        > to let it fermint for 2 weeks.
        >
        > THe Air lock shows it is activly giving off CO2.
        >
        > 2 - Are there any tricks to when to turn the head donw on the
        burner.
        > I can reach 208F to boil watter with 30 from 4 US GL of tap watter
        in
        > aprox 26 minutes.
        >
        > Any sugestions?

        You will probably get a gallon off of it.Throw out the first 200ml
        that comes off the still,you dont want it.As far a the heat goes,I
        would heat it up somewhat slow,and when you start collecting,turn the
        heat down,and use just enough to keep it going.Depending on where
        your thermometer is located,It will start running someware between
        170-190f.Dont worry about it too much,just get to know your still.
        I usually stop collecting at 204f on my potstill.
        george

        Regards
        Joe