Help with a first wash / run with ABV of the wash and temp

  • newstillhead
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2007
      I have a wash I am trying I found on the main page. THis will end up
      being my first run ever using a brand new pot still I have made in a
      Keg Pot Still.

      5KG SUgar + 10 L of almost boiling watter. + 8L of 100% pure Juice +
      A "handful of yeast" I u

      I have already done a cleaning and a pure watter run with no issues.

      I have 2 questions.

      1 - How much should I expect to collect on the first run. I intend to
      add all the collection to a second run of an identical batch. I plan
      to let it fermint for 2 weeks.

      THe Air lock shows it is activly giving off CO2.

      2 - Are there any tricks to when to turn the head donw on the burner.
      I can reach 208F to boil watter with 30 from 4 US GL of tap watter in
      aprox 26 minutes.

      Any sugestions?
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "newstillhead" <newstillhead@...> wrote:

        > I have a wash I am trying I found on the main page. THis will end up
        > being my first run ever using a brand new pot still I have made in a
        > Keg Pot Still.
        >
        > 5KG SUgar + 10 L of almost boiling watter. + 8L of 100% pure Juice +
        > A "handful of yeast" I u
        >
        > I have already done a cleaning and a pure watter run with no issues.
        >
        > I have 2 questions.
        >
        > 1 - How much should I expect to collect on the first run. I intend to
        > add all the collection to a second run of an identical batch. I plan
        > to let it fermint for 2 weeks.
        >
        > THe Air lock shows it is activly giving off CO2.
        >
        > 2 - Are there any tricks to when to turn the head donw on the burner.
        > I can reach 208F to boil watter with 30 from 4 US GL of tap watter in
        > aprox 26 minutes.
        >
        > Any sugestions?

        Study http://homedistiller.org, & find the spellchecker button.  You'll get more responses.

      • lockdude77
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
          <newstillhead@...> wrote:

          > I have a wash I am trying I found on the main page. THis will end
          up
          > being my first run ever using a brand new pot still I have made in
          > Keg Pot Still.
          >
          > 5KG SUgar + 10 L of almost boiling watter. + 8L of 100% pure Juice
          +
          > A "handful of yeast" I u
          >
          > I have already done a cleaning and a pure watter run with no
          issues.

          > I have 2 questions.
          >
          > 1 - How much should I expect to collect on the first run. I intend
          > add all the collection to a second run of an identical batch. I
          plan
          > to let it fermint for 2 weeks.
          >
          > THe Air lock shows it is activly giving off CO2.
          >
          > 2 - Are there any tricks to when to turn the head donw on the
          burner.
          > I can reach 208F to boil watter with 30 from 4 US GL of tap watter
          in
          > aprox 26 minutes.
          >
          > Any sugestions?

          You will probably get a gallon off of it.Throw out the first 200ml
          that comes off the still,you dont want it.As far a the heat goes,I
          would heat it up somewhat slow,and when you start collecting,turn the
          heat down,and use just enough to keep it going.Depending on where
          your thermometer is located,It will start running someware between
          170-190f.Dont worry about it too much,just get to know your still.
          I usually stop collecting at 204f on my potstill.
          george
        • joe giffen
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
            Hi,
            I really do hate to say this but after Harry,s missive I think we (older members) have been trying to step up to the plate, but I can,t understand gobblegook. If your command of language is such as in this posting , well how are you going to understand or make anything, In fact you might damage yourself.

            <newstillhead@ ...> wrote:

            > I have a wash I am trying I found on the main page. THis will end
            up
            > being my first run ever using a brand new pot still I have made in
            > Keg Pot Still.
            >
            > 5KG SUgar + 10 L of almost boiling watter. + 8L of 100% pure Juice
            +
            > A "handful of yeast" I u
            >
            > I have already done a cleaning and a pure watter run with no
            issues.

            > I have 2 questions.
            >
            > 1 - How much should I expect to collect on the first run. I intend
            > add all the collection to a second run of an identical batch. I
            plan
            > to let it fermint for 2 weeks.
            >
            > THe Air lock shows it is activly giving off CO2.
            >
            > 2 - Are there any tricks to when to turn the head donw on the
            burner.
            > I can reach 208F to boil watter with 30 from 4 US GL of tap watter
            in
            > aprox 26 minutes.
            >
            > Any sugestions?

            You will probably get a gallon off of it.Throw out the first 200ml
            that comes off the still,you dont want it.As far a the heat goes,I
            would heat it up somewhat slow,and when you start collecting,turn the
            heat down,and use just enough to keep it going.Depending on where
            your thermometer is located,It will start running someware between
            170-190f.Dont worry about it too much,just get to know your still.
            I usually stop collecting at 204f on my potstill.
            george

            Regards
            Joe