Stupid Question

  • David and Melissa
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2007
      I have been home brewing for years and am now turning my attention to
      making my own absinthe. All recipes I have come across call for using
      either grain or grape neutral spirits macerated with the appropriate
      herbs and then distilled. My question is, can a counter top water
      distiller be used for this?

      thanks in advance
    • just me
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2007
        yes if it has been adapted for alcohol. you can order one from brewhaus.com. it is called the easystill. it works great for what is made for. i dont believe that the source of wash  matters with neutral spirits. you may want to start with some turbo yeast first. i have had sucsess with the turbo48 from prestige. good luck.

        life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.

      • Trid
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David and Melissa"
          <crest101@...> wrote:

          > I have been home brewing for years and am now turning my attention to
          > making my own absinthe. All recipes I have come across call for using
          > either grain or grape neutral spirits macerated with the appropriate
          > herbs and then distilled. My question is, can a counter top water
          > distiller be used for this?

          My first instinct is to say no, but I don't quite know pertinent
          details of this distiller. How is it filled? Is there just a small
          opening to pour water in, or does the entire top come off? Is the
          inside plumbed with copper pipe/tubing, or is there plastic anywhere
          in the process (most concerned about in the path of the vapor)?

          First off, to do absinthe properly, you start with your base spirit
          (grape, grain, sugar...I find little difference) and you will add your
          first herbs. Depending on the recipe, you may let them macerate for a
          while or you might fire off the batch right away. Either way, you'll
          need to get the herbs in with the alcohol WHILE distilling. It won't
          be the same if you macerate and then filter out the herbs and distill
          the filtered alcohol. Also, since you're starting with a rather strong
          concentration of alcohol, the resulting distillate initially comes out
          quite potent (starts around 90% depending on your heat input). This
          concentration will destroy any plastic tubing in your apparatus
          (though silicone might hold up). However, it does come out intensely
          flavored which is why I don't find much difference with the different
          styles of base spirit...any subtle difference are heavily masked.

          I'd recommend assembling a simple pot still and use that.
          Trid