Re: [new_distillers] Re: Is this reflux still a good design?

  • just me
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
      george why dont you use it for turbo neutrals?
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
        Hi,
        If you are going to build a 2.5inch copper column why not go for a stainless steel exhaust pipe of 3inches. I t is cheaper than copper or if you want something smaller look at stevolate,s bokakob designed still in the photos section. It is as pretty as most.
        george why dont you use it for turbo neutrals?
        > I am going to build a reflux still and was able to locate free
        plans
        > for "building a world class distillation apparatus" on
        > moonshine_still. com. Some have stated that this is a good design,
        but
        > could use improvements.
        > Can anyone see or give this newby any ideas on how the valved
        reflux
        > design could be improved?
        >
        > The heating source would be LP if that makes any difference.
        >
        > Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

        I have built one of those,but changed a few things.I didnt use 3 inch
        for the condencer housing,I used 2 inch.My condencer is about 20ft of
        1/4 inch,double wound,and fits inside the 2 inch just fine.I only
        used 1 valve for takeoff only.Mine works good,and has good output at
        95%,but the VM design is easier to build,and cheeper.If I was going
        to build a reflux now,after building a few of them,I would go with a
        bobkbob type with 2 1/2 inch copper.
        It would take more heat to run a tall 2 1/2 inch one,but if insulated
        good,it would have a higher output,and high purity.The one that I use
        all the time is a 2 inch potstill/Hybred column,with a 30inch leibig
        condencer.It works great,and I even use it for neutral.But not turbo
        neutral.Good luck with your build,and read everything you can get
        your hands on about it before you build it.
        george

        Regards
        Joe

      • lockdude77
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
          > george why dont you use it for turbo neutrals?

          cleaner wash with wine yeast.{1118 lalvin}I usually make a 10-12%
          wash,and potstill it.It taste better better than a turbo wash that
          has been stripped,and refluxed with only 1 run in the potstill.It
          takes longer to ferment,but I usually let my sugar washes clear for 3-
          4 weeks anyway.The trick is to get everything right without overdoing
          it.The PH,the neutrents without using too much,the fermentation
          temp,and most important,not stressing the yeast.Keep the starting
          gravity no higher than 1080sg.Happy yeast makes clean booze.
          george
        • joe giffen
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
            What the hell are you talking about?.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...>
              wrote:

              > What the hell are you talking about?.
              >
              > lockdude77 <lockdude24-7@...> wrote: --- In
              new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@> wrote:

              > > george why dont you use it for turbo neutrals?

            • just me
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                i misunderstood his statement. i thought he wouldnt use it to run a turbo. not that he wouldnt use a turbo. "It works great,and I even use it for neutral.But not

              • toddk63
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                  I built a Bokakob Single Reducer design and am very happy with it. I
                  thought the elliptical design looked more difficult to build. Some
                  day I may build a VM. Can I reuse most of my SR LM stuff?

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sn_cur" <sn_cur@...> wrote:

                  > I agree with Riku.
                  >
                  > Don't try to reinvent the wheel your first time around.
                  >
                  > Go for a Bokabob, or a VM still.
                  >
                  > I have a VM and am very happy with it.
                  >
                  > sn

                • sn_cur
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                    In most cases you can just add VM to an existing LM still. Plenty of folk have done it.

                    > I built a Bokakob Single Reducer design and am very happy with it. I
                    > thought the elliptical design looked more difficult to build. Some
                    > day I may build a VM. Can I reuse most of my SR LM stuff?
                    >
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sn_cur" <sn_cur@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I agree with Riku.
                    > >
                    > > Don't try to reinvent the wheel your first time around.
                    > >
                    > > Go for a Bokabob, or a VM still.
                    > >
                    > > I have a VM and am very happy with it.
                    > >
                    > > sn

                  • joe giffen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                      What can I say?.

                      toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:
                      I built a Bokakob Single Reducer design and am very happy with it. I
                      thought the elliptical design looked more difficult to build. Some
                      day I may build a VM. Can I reuse most of my SR LM stuff?

                      --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "sn_cur" <sn_cur@...> wrote:

                      > I agree with Riku.
                      >
                      > Don't try to reinvent the wheel your first time around.
                      >
                      > Go for a Bokabob, or a VM still.
                      >
                      > I have a VM and am very happy with it.
                      >
                      > sn

                      Regards