Is this reflux still a good design?

  • stavjen
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30, 2007
      I am going to build a reflux still and was able to locate free plans
      for "building a world class distillation apparatus" on
      moonshine_still.com. Some have stated that this is a good design, but
      could use improvements.
      Can anyone see or give this newby any ideas on how the valved reflux
      design could be improved?

      The heating source would be LP if that makes any difference.

      Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
        I'd recommend you build the simplified version of Bokakob's EL-still
        instead. It uses the same principle and is way easier and cheaper to
        build.

        Problems with world class valved design:

        - Inefficient reflux coil design.
        - Uses expensive 3" plumbing components unnecessarily.
        - Dual valve for control is not needed unless one want's to use it as
        a reflux control still, which requires some additional modifications.
        - The Nixon-Stone design which this is a copy of is easier and cheaper
        to build. It also has the reflux directed to the middle of the packing
        which IIRC is left out from the world class design.
        - As mentioned inline versions of LM still are even cheaper and easier
        to build.
        - The Liquid Management principle in itself is somewhat outdated. For
        neutral alcohol production VM or ARC have numerous advantages. For
        flavored drinks it is hard to beat the good old pot still.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stavjen" <eutherian@...> wrote:

        > I am going to build a reflux still and was able to locate free plans
        > for "building a world class distillation apparatus" on
        > moonshine_still.com. Some have stated that this is a good design,
        but
        > could use improvements.
        > Can anyone see or give this newby any ideas on how the valved reflux
        > design could be improved?
        >
        > The heating source would be LP if that makes any difference.
        >
        > Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

      • sn_cur
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
          I agree with Riku.

          Don't try to reinvent the wheel your first time around.

          Go for a Bokabob, or a VM still.

          I have a VM and am very happy with it.

          sn
        • lockdude77
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
            wrote:

            > I am going to build a reflux still and was able to locate free
            plans
            > for "building a world class distillation apparatus" on
            > moonshine_still.com. Some have stated that this is a good design,
            but
            > could use improvements.
            > Can anyone see or give this newby any ideas on how the valved
            reflux
            > design could be improved?
            >
            > The heating source would be LP if that makes any difference.
            >
            > Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

            I have built one of those,but changed a few things.I didnt use 3 inch
            for the condencer housing,I used 2 inch.My condencer is about 20ft of
            1/4 inch,double wound,and fits inside the 2 inch just fine.I only
            used 1 valve for takeoff only.Mine works good,and has good output at
            95%,but the VM design is easier to build,and cheeper.If I was going
            to build a reflux now,after building a few of them,I would go with a
            bobkbob type with 2 1/2 inch copper.
            It would take more heat to run a tall 2 1/2 inch one,but if insulated
            good,it would have a higher output,and high purity.The one that I use
            all the time is a 2 inch potstill/Hybred column,with a 30inch leibig
            condencer.It works great,and I even use it for neutral.But not turbo
            neutral.Good luck with your build,and read everything you can get
            your hands on about it before you build it.
            george
          • just me
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
              george why dont you use it for turbo neutrals?
              > I am going to build a reflux still and was able to locate free
              plans
              > for "building a world class distillation apparatus" on
              > moonshine_still. com. Some have stated that this is a good design,
              but
              > could use improvements.
              > Can anyone see or give this newby any ideas on how the valved
              reflux
              > design could be improved?
              >
              > The heating source would be LP if that makes any difference.
              >
              > Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

              I have built one of those,but changed a few things.I didnt use 3 inch
              for the condencer housing,I used 2 inch.My condencer is about 20ft of
              1/4 inch,double wound,and fits inside the 2 inch just fine.I only
              used 1 valve for takeoff only.Mine works good,and has good output at
              95%,but the VM design is easier to build,and cheeper.If I was going
              to build a reflux now,after building a few of them,I would go with a
              bobkbob type with 2 1/2 inch copper.
              It would take more heat to run a tall 2 1/2 inch one,but if insulated
              good,it would have a higher output,and high purity.The one that I use
              all the time is a 2 inch potstill/Hybred column,with a 30inch leibig
              condencer.It works great,and I even use it for neutral.But not turbo
              neutral.Good luck with your build,and read everything you can get
              your hands on about it before you build it.
              george

            • joe giffen
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                Hi,
                If you are going to build a 2.5inch copper column why not go for a stainless steel exhaust pipe of 3inches. I t is cheaper than copper or if you want something smaller look at stevolate,s bokakob designed still in the photos section. It is as pretty as most.
                george why dont you use it for turbo neutrals?
                > I am going to build a reflux still and was able to locate free
                plans
                > for "building a world class distillation apparatus" on
                > moonshine_still. com. Some have stated that this is a good design,
                but
                > could use improvements.
                > Can anyone see or give this newby any ideas on how the valved
                reflux
                > design could be improved?
                >
                > The heating source would be LP if that makes any difference.
                >
                > Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

                I have built one of those,but changed a few things.I didnt use 3 inch
                for the condencer housing,I used 2 inch.My condencer is about 20ft of
                1/4 inch,double wound,and fits inside the 2 inch just fine.I only
                used 1 valve for takeoff only.Mine works good,and has good output at
                95%,but the VM design is easier to build,and cheeper.If I was going
                to build a reflux now,after building a few of them,I would go with a
                bobkbob type with 2 1/2 inch copper.
                It would take more heat to run a tall 2 1/2 inch one,but if insulated
                good,it would have a higher output,and high purity.The one that I use
                all the time is a 2 inch potstill/Hybred column,with a 30inch leibig
                condencer.It works great,and I even use it for neutral.But not turbo
                neutral.Good luck with your build,and read everything you can get
                your hands on about it before you build it.
                george

                Regards
                Joe

              • lockdude77
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                  > george why dont you use it for turbo neutrals?

                  cleaner wash with wine yeast.{1118 lalvin}I usually make a 10-12%
                  wash,and potstill it.It taste better better than a turbo wash that
                  has been stripped,and refluxed with only 1 run in the potstill.It
                  takes longer to ferment,but I usually let my sugar washes clear for 3-
                  4 weeks anyway.The trick is to get everything right without overdoing
                  it.The PH,the neutrents without using too much,the fermentation
                  temp,and most important,not stressing the yeast.Keep the starting
                  gravity no higher than 1080sg.Happy yeast makes clean booze.
                  george
                • joe giffen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                    What the hell are you talking about?.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...>
                      wrote:

                      > What the hell are you talking about?.
                      >
                      > lockdude77 <lockdude24-7@...> wrote: --- In
                      new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@> wrote:

                      > > george why dont you use it for turbo neutrals?

                    • just me
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                        i misunderstood his statement. i thought he wouldnt use it to run a turbo. not that he wouldnt use a turbo. "It works great,and I even use it for neutral.But not

                      • toddk63
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                          I built a Bokakob Single Reducer design and am very happy with it. I
                          thought the elliptical design looked more difficult to build. Some
                          day I may build a VM. Can I reuse most of my SR LM stuff?

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sn_cur" <sn_cur@...> wrote:

                          > I agree with Riku.
                          >
                          > Don't try to reinvent the wheel your first time around.
                          >
                          > Go for a Bokabob, or a VM still.
                          >
                          > I have a VM and am very happy with it.
                          >
                          > sn

                        • sn_cur
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                            In most cases you can just add VM to an existing LM still. Plenty of folk have done it.

                            > I built a Bokakob Single Reducer design and am very happy with it. I
                            > thought the elliptical design looked more difficult to build. Some
                            > day I may build a VM. Can I reuse most of my SR LM stuff?
                            >
                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sn_cur" <sn_cur@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I agree with Riku.
                            > >
                            > > Don't try to reinvent the wheel your first time around.
                            > >
                            > > Go for a Bokabob, or a VM still.
                            > >
                            > > I have a VM and am very happy with it.
                            > >
                            > > sn

                          • joe giffen
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                              What can I say?.

                              toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:
                              I built a Bokakob Single Reducer design and am very happy with it. I
                              thought the elliptical design looked more difficult to build. Some
                              day I may build a VM. Can I reuse most of my SR LM stuff?

                              --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "sn_cur" <sn_cur@...> wrote:

                              > I agree with Riku.
                              >
                              > Don't try to reinvent the wheel your first time around.
                              >
                              > Go for a Bokabob, or a VM still.
                              >
                              > I have a VM and am very happy with it.
                              >
                              > sn

                              Regards