Applejack via freeze distilling

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2007
      I made about 10 gallons of hard cider last fall, and it didn't really
      turn out the way I wanted. I did half plain apple cider, and the other
      half added some mango puree for some flavor to. Each respective half,
      I did half still and half sparkling. Its all *ok* but nothing
      spectacular. So, I was looking at all these bottles I didn't really
      want to drink so I figured I'd try the freeze distillation method -
      simple, easy, and probably hangover city. Anyway, I took about 2L of
      still hard apple cider and split it evenly between two 2L soda bottles,
      dropped them in the deep freeze for about 24 hours til they were
      solid. I tipped them upside down in two tall glasses and let it run.
      I ended up with about 1L of pretty decent stuff. The hard cider was
      only about 5-6%, so I'm guessing the applejack is probably 10% max.
      But, its got a lot more flavor, and isn't nearly as dry/tart tasting as
      the cider was. All in all, for a cheap boost that didn't really take
      any time or effort to make, I'm pretty happy with it. I might try it
      with some of the mango stuff too and see how it goes. If I don't drink
      the sparkling stuff, I might run it through the pot still to see how
      that goes.