Is this news to anybody but me ?

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 28, 2007
      http://www.destillatio.com/assets/s2dmain.htm?
      http://www.destillatio.com/

      I would rather get my toe(s) in the home distill waters through a
      pretty table top unit like these than the ultra DIY build-a-behemoth
      in the garage that seems favored among the regulars here and elsewhere.

      I could have it shipped to Tijuana and easily cross it in the car,
      but purchasing & shipping questions abound, not least that I don't
      read German (the text at this website is German, isn't it?).
    • joe giffen

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2007
          At 12:37 AM 08/29/2007, you wrote:
          >read German (the text at this website is German, isn't it?).

          Yes, it's German. When I translate the whole page at www.babelfish.com the
          German-to-English doesn't come up with anything, but cutting and pasting a
          block of text gets a fairly understandable translation from German.

          If you get into rums, and some other things, the wash can start foaming,
          and you need to have headroom in your boiler to allow for that. So you may
          use a 7.5 gallon kettle with 3-4 gallons of wash in it. You may wind up
          running one liter of wash at a time through that 2.5 liter boiler.

          One factor is that you need to make "cuts", based on temperature of the
          wash, which will change as more and more alcohol boils out of it, and
          that's going to be hard with a half-gallon boiler.

          You need to discard the first 20ml to 50ml that comes out of a 4-gallon
          run. This contains nasty alcohols other than ethanol. It will taste and
          smell bad, and if you don't separate it out, drinking your output will give
          you hangovers more easily (if you can get past the taste & smell). As the
          ethanol becomes depleted, there are OTHER alcohols with a higher boiling
          point that begin to come out, and you want to separate these "tails" also.

          If you're only doing a couple of liters in the run, you'll work yourself to
          death trying to get the cuts made, as you'll need an eye on the thermometer
          almost every moment. Things will change quickly an overly small boiler
          capacity.

          If I read that web page right, those "tabletop" models start at 289
          Euros... isn't that somewhere in the neighborhood of $500?

          These are very expensively made, using copper where it has no benefit at
          all. The worm sits in a copper water-bath... with the price of copper these
          days, that's an out-of-line design.

          You WANT come copper in the vapor path to improve flavor, but as long as
          you have it in the vapor path, it's largely un-necessary elsewhere, and a
          downright total waste as a container for cooling water.

          And a 2.5 liter boiler is pretty tiny. Most people use a 30-quart boiler,
          minimum. Half a gallon is hardly worth the trouble of heating up for a run.

          You're looking at half a gallon, when most people do 4-5 gallon runs, or
          about 3 gallons at minimum.

          Most wash recipes are geared for about a a 25-liter fermentation. Assuming
          that you do that, you're going to be heating that boiler, then cooling and
          cleaning about a dozen times to get a whole wash processed. That's a lot
          of extra time, work, and electricity.

          If you're in the USA, you should probably visit some of the distilling
          websites, like http://www.milehidistilling.com or www.brewhaus.com.

          Even the EasyStill tabletop Distiller at Brewhaus has a 4-liter capacity,
          and operates about like a coffee maker, pretty much like the "Mister
          Distiller" at Milehi.

          http://www.milehidistilling.com has a little 10-liter (2.8 gallons)
          low-profile milk-can still, with a 20-inch column, for about $200.

          It's pretty compact, since most people consider a 30-quart kettle with
          24-inch column to be a smallish rig.
        • joe giffen

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 29, 2007
                At 12:37 AM 08/29/2007, you wrote:
                http://www.destillatio.com/

                I would rather get my toe(s) in the home distill waters through a
                pretty table top unit like these than the ultra DIY build-a-behemoth
                in the garage that seems favored among the regulars here and elsewhere.

                Here's the bottom line... you're thinking about to spending around $500 to get your toes wet, and after processing three or four washes, you're going to want to spend $300 for a REAL still, or you're going to figure that it was a mistake and have a $500 flower pot.

                Your best bet is to reverse the process... spend the $300 for a real still in the first place.  Then if you later want a decorative piece of copper you can sit around and keep polished, buy the toy still.

                If you decide that distilling isn't for you, you can probably peddle a $300 Real Still on Ebay for $100 to $150 on the first try.

                On the other hand, getting $250 back back out of that $500 toy still is liable to see several insertion fees as you try over and over again. Eventually you'll find someone who is willing to spend $250 (which would buy a brand new useable still) on a used toy still.

                If size concerns you, get that small milk-can still from http://www.milehidistilling.com.

                Or you can get the PS-II essential extractor from http://www.brewhaus.com. What's essentially the same still is also sold at http://www.milehidistilling.com and probably three or four other sites.

                The essential extractor features a two-piece column, so it can be used as a reflux still or as a pot still.

                You can run a reflux column as a pot column by simply not packing it, but it works better if the column also isn't quite as tall. This design isn't unique to http://www.brewhaus.com, that's just a site that springs to mind which I know for sure has it.

                A reflux still is neat, and efficient, but is only good for making neutral spirits, without any flavor (Vodka). For making rum, bourbon, scotch, etc. you need a pot still.

                You can make neutral spirits, then add "Essences" of rum, scotch, etc. but that is much more expensive than making the real stuff, and, from my own experience, doesn't work.

                What I've got from adding rum essences to neutral spirits has been interesting, but a far cry from Rum.  Seems to be mostly just caramel flavoring and brown coloring.

                If you think you'll never want to use a reflux still, get a pot still... they're smaller and cheaper. That copper rig is an example of a pot still, though a pretty expensive one.

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 29, 2007
                  You can get properly sized copper stills from here:
                  http://www.copper-alembic.com/shop/index.php

                  The price also seems somewhat lower. One of them 60 liters stills
                  would be good for processing 25 liters malt or molasses mashes.

                  Cheers, Riku

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

                  > At 12:37 AM 08/29/2007, you wrote:
                  > ><http://www.destillatio.com/>http://www.destillatio.com/
                  > >
                  > >I would rather get my toe(s) in the home distill waters through a
                  > >pretty table top unit like these than the ultra DIY build-a-
                  behemoth
                  > >in the garage that seems favored among the regulars here and
                  elsewhere.

                  > Here's the bottom line... you're thinking about to spending around
                  > get your toes wet, and after processing three or four washes,
                  you're going
                  > to want to spend $300 for a REAL still, or you're going to figure
                  that it
                  > was a mistake and have a $500 flower pot.
                  >
                  > Your best bet is to reverse the process... spend the $300 for a
                  real still
                  > in the first place. Then if you later want a decorative piece of
                  copper
                  > you can sit around and keep polished, buy the toy still.

                • cloudwalkeriv
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2007
                    SNIP

                    Look into the pressure cooker pot still at homedistiller.org