Re: Got a problem, feeling abit dumb!

  • mavnkaf
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2007

      > > I have finally worked out what I was doing wrong, I was reading
      > the
      > > hydrometer wrong. Since I don't get many washs under SG 1.00, I
      > > did'nt know how to express the number to apply it to the formula.
      > >
      > > So, og 1.o85 - fg 0.990 = 0.095 * 131 = 12.445 %, right? Thanks
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > > Marc
      > >

      > Yup. I knew you'd get there eventually. :)
      > Here's another little tip. FG never goes below 0.985, I don't care
      > how good the ferment was. That is DRY (ie, no residual sugars).
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Hi Harry, thanks for your reply, I did'nt know about 0.985 is as low
      it would go. I think my reading of 0.990 is still in error still
      because I measured it before I let the solids drop. Last night I put
      200 ml in the fridge and only a few minutes ago I remembered why I
      did it, to test it with out sediment. It did'nt change much, 0.991 @
      20 C, so I got about 12.314%. I'm happy with that. I have found
      using a heated bath setup is bring some consistency to my fermenting,
      keeping consistent temps have got to better.

      Cheers
      Marc
    • Link D'Antoni
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 26, 2007
        I'm coming in late on the discussion. Missed two whole
        days... That like a life time in this group. Ther
        aree a heap of replies but here's a short cut for
        calculation alcohol %

        Take out decimals.

        Start 1085 - 900 = 185 / 7.36 = 25.1% alcohol
        Divide the difference of start & Final by 7.36! Voila!

        Link

        --- mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

        > Hi group, I keep doing the maths on this and it
        > does not work out
        > right??! I have 2 fermenters(23L) in a tub bath @
        > 28 C, so the temps
        > have been very good through the last 7 days. Now it
        > has finished and
        > come up will these numbers.
        >
        > OG = 1.085
        >
        > FG = 0.900
        >
        > SO what will the % be? Have some figurs but it
        > does not add up, in my
        > mind.
        >
        > Harry's program tell's me it's around 24% but it
        > can't right. It's the
        > DWWG recipe with 4.5 kg of sugar and one table spoon
        > of citric acid and
        > the wheatgrem, 500 gr.
        >
        > Ned Kelly's Air Force
        > Marc