Re: Got a problem, feeling abit dumb!

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > ok now I got it. 4500g/23L = 196g/l
      > > according to the chart found here
      > > http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm
      > > this is 1.075, 18.1 brix between 9.5 and 10.5 alcohol potential.
      > > Your sg was 1.085 which is 11 to 12% by the chart. Maybe you
      only
      > had
      > > 20 liters of wash which gives 225g/l.
      > >
      > > Another way to figure it is theoretic yield of sugar is 51% by
      > weight
      > > according to the stoichiometry.
      > > 4.5kg * .51 = 2.295kg etoh is 779g/l
      > > so this is 2.95L etoh in 23 liters which is 2.95/23 = 12.8%
      > theoretic
      > > max. One can usually figure 90% efficiency which give 11.5%. All
      the
      > > numbers add up.
      >

      > I have finally worked out what I was doing wrong, I was reading
      the
      > hydrometer wrong. Since I don't get many washs under SG 1.00, I
      > did'nt know how to express the number to apply it to the formula.
      >
      > So, og 1.o85 - fg 0.990 = 0.095 * 131 = 12.445 %, right? Thanks
      >
      > Cheers
      > Marc

      Yup. I knew you'd get there eventually. :)
      Here's another little tip. FG never goes below 0.985, I don't care
      how good the ferment was. That is DRY (ie, no residual sugars).

    • mavnkaf
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 26, 2007

        > > I have finally worked out what I was doing wrong, I was reading
        > the
        > > hydrometer wrong. Since I don't get many washs under SG 1.00, I
        > > did'nt know how to express the number to apply it to the formula.
        > >
        > > So, og 1.o85 - fg 0.990 = 0.095 * 131 = 12.445 %, right? Thanks
        > >
        > > Cheers
        > > Marc
        > >

        > Yup. I knew you'd get there eventually. :)
        > Here's another little tip. FG never goes below 0.985, I don't care
        > how good the ferment was. That is DRY (ie, no residual sugars).
        >
        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        Hi Harry, thanks for your reply, I did'nt know about 0.985 is as low
        it would go. I think my reading of 0.990 is still in error still
        because I measured it before I let the solids drop. Last night I put
        200 ml in the fridge and only a few minutes ago I remembered why I
        did it, to test it with out sediment. It did'nt change much, 0.991 @
        20 C, so I got about 12.314%. I'm happy with that. I have found
        using a heated bath setup is bring some consistency to my fermenting,
        keeping consistent temps have got to better.

        Cheers
        Marc
      • Link D'Antoni
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 26, 2007
          I'm coming in late on the discussion. Missed two whole
          days... That like a life time in this group. Ther
          aree a heap of replies but here's a short cut for
          calculation alcohol %

          Take out decimals.

          Start 1085 - 900 = 185 / 7.36 = 25.1% alcohol
          Divide the difference of start & Final by 7.36! Voila!

          Link

          --- mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

          > Hi group, I keep doing the maths on this and it
          > does not work out
          > right??! I have 2 fermenters(23L) in a tub bath @
          > 28 C, so the temps
          > have been very good through the last 7 days. Now it
          > has finished and
          > come up will these numbers.
          >
          > OG = 1.085
          >
          > FG = 0.900
          >
          > SO what will the % be? Have some figurs but it
          > does not add up, in my
          > mind.
          >
          > Harry's program tell's me it's around 24% but it
          > can't right. It's the
          > DWWG recipe with 4.5 kg of sugar and one table spoon
          > of citric acid and
          > the wheatgrem, 500 gr.
          >
          > Ned Kelly's Air Force
          > Marc