Re: [new_distillers] Re: Condenser Question

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
      Thanks Harry. :))

      SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
      http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

      Powered by Outblaze
    • dreamofgilgamesh
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
        Thanks very much for your answers chaps, i'll go with the double coil then

        Best Wishes
      • duds2u
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
          Gravity has to have it's way in a worm condenser and have a
          continuous gradual downhill run to the output.
          If you make a double helix for the worm, half the direction of flow
          will be uphill and liquid doesn't like flowiing uphill of it's own
          accord.
          You would end up with a pool of liquid at the bottom of the double
          helix that will block any flow. Eventually you will pressurise the
          pot and it will forcibly blow the condensed alcohol out the end of
          your condenser. If you happen to have a flame anywhere near the
          output you could end up with a flamethrower.
          Cheers
          Mal T.

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Interesting post Harry. I've often wondered why double helix
          > coils were used. I thought it was simply a method of saving
          > space. :)
          > >
          > > I bought my old pot still and assessories - for an outrageous
          > price, I now realize - and the condenser is sixteen feet of 0.375
          > inch tube coiled about ten inches diameter, making eight coils in a
          > five gallon bucket of water.
          > >
          > > Would it make a great difference if it were converted into a
          > smaller diameter double helix condenser?
          > >
          > > dawg
          >

          > Not really. You'd still have the same amount of heat transfer
          > surface (the tubing), just compressed into a smaller space.
          > Therefore heat dissipation would be the same. A worm in a tub is
          > fine for your setup. BTU's in = BTU's out. There's nothing magic
          > about it. And, if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it. :)
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • sonum norbu
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
            Yairs, this is what always worried me about a double helix. A pressure vessel is something I just do not want. As the still has worked OK for many years now, I'll stick to Harry's advice and leave well enough alone. :)))

          • tim smith
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
              thanks harry....thanks  blanik..."rolls eyes"

              Thanks Harry. :))

              Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera. com