Re: Condenser Question

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
      wrote:

      > Interesting post Harry. I've often wondered why double helix
      coils were used. I thought it was simply a method of saving
      space. :)

      > I bought my old pot still and assessories - for an outrageous
      price, I now realize - and the condenser is sixteen feet of 0.375
      inch tube coiled about ten inches diameter, making eight coils in a
      five gallon bucket of water.

      > Would it make a great difference if it were converted into a
      smaller diameter double helix condenser?

      > dawg

      Not really. You'd still have the same amount of heat transfer
      surface (the tubing), just compressed into a smaller space.
      Therefore heat dissipation would be the same. A worm in a tub is
      fine for your setup. BTU's in = BTU's out. There's nothing magic
      about it. And, if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it. :)

    • sonum norbu
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
        Thanks Harry. :))

        SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
        http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

        Powered by Outblaze
      • dreamofgilgamesh
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
          Thanks very much for your answers chaps, i'll go with the double coil then

          Best Wishes
        • duds2u
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
            Gravity has to have it's way in a worm condenser and have a
            continuous gradual downhill run to the output.
            If you make a double helix for the worm, half the direction of flow
            will be uphill and liquid doesn't like flowiing uphill of it's own
            accord.
            You would end up with a pool of liquid at the bottom of the double
            helix that will block any flow. Eventually you will pressurise the
            pot and it will forcibly blow the condensed alcohol out the end of
            your condenser. If you happen to have a flame anywhere near the
            output you could end up with a flamethrower.
            Cheers
            Mal T.

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Interesting post Harry. I've often wondered why double helix
            > coils were used. I thought it was simply a method of saving
            > space. :)
            > >
            > > I bought my old pot still and assessories - for an outrageous
            > price, I now realize - and the condenser is sixteen feet of 0.375
            > inch tube coiled about ten inches diameter, making eight coils in a
            > five gallon bucket of water.
            > >
            > > Would it make a great difference if it were converted into a
            > smaller diameter double helix condenser?
            > >
            > > dawg
            >

            > Not really. You'd still have the same amount of heat transfer
            > surface (the tubing), just compressed into a smaller space.
            > Therefore heat dissipation would be the same. A worm in a tub is
            > fine for your setup. BTU's in = BTU's out. There's nothing magic
            > about it. And, if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it. :)
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
              Yairs, this is what always worried me about a double helix. A pressure vessel is something I just do not want. As the still has worked OK for many years now, I'll stick to Harry's advice and leave well enough alone. :)))

            • tim smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
                thanks harry....thanks  blanik..."rolls eyes"

                Thanks Harry. :))

                Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera. com