Re: [new_distillers] Re: Condenser Question

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2007
      > ----- Original Message -----
      > From: Harry <gnikomson2000@...>
      > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Condenser Question
      > Date: Wed, 08 Aug:50:57 -0000

      Interesting post Harry. I've often wondered why double helix coils were used. I thought it was simply a method of saving space. :)

      I bought my old pot still and assessories - for an outrageous price, I now realize - and the condenser is sixteen feet of 0.375 inch tube coiled about ten inches diameter, making eight coils in a five gallon bucket of water.

      Would it make a great difference if it were converted into a smaller diameter double helix condenser?

      dawg

      > Broadly speaking, a double helix coil would be more efficient when
      > compared to a single coil. Why? The double coil forms what is
      > known as a "multi-pass" condenser configuration. This is where one
      > of the fluids (in this case the water or coolant), traverses the
      > length of the other fluid stream (the vapour) more than once. Thus
      > the contact time between fluids (or to be precise, the heat-transfer
      > interface contact) is increased. There is more opportunity for the
      > heat to be transferred from hot fluid to cool fluid.
      >
      > Of course this is a simple explanation, but sufficient for our small
      > needs. The true picture is one of vast complexity. Volumes have
      > been written about heat transfer, fluid dynamics and heat exchanger
      > design. It is a science in its own right.
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
      http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

      Powered by Outblaze
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
        wrote:

        > Interesting post Harry. I've often wondered why double helix
        coils were used. I thought it was simply a method of saving
        space. :)

        > I bought my old pot still and assessories - for an outrageous
        price, I now realize - and the condenser is sixteen feet of 0.375
        inch tube coiled about ten inches diameter, making eight coils in a
        five gallon bucket of water.

        > Would it make a great difference if it were converted into a
        smaller diameter double helix condenser?

        > dawg

        Not really. You'd still have the same amount of heat transfer
        surface (the tubing), just compressed into a smaller space.
        Therefore heat dissipation would be the same. A worm in a tub is
        fine for your setup. BTU's in = BTU's out. There's nothing magic
        about it. And, if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it. :)

      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
          Thanks Harry. :))

        • dreamofgilgamesh
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
            Thanks very much for your answers chaps, i'll go with the double coil then

            Best Wishes
          • duds2u
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
              Gravity has to have it's way in a worm condenser and have a
              continuous gradual downhill run to the output.
              If you make a double helix for the worm, half the direction of flow
              will be uphill and liquid doesn't like flowiing uphill of it's own
              accord.
              You would end up with a pool of liquid at the bottom of the double
              helix that will block any flow. Eventually you will pressurise the
              pot and it will forcibly blow the condensed alcohol out the end of
              your condenser. If you happen to have a flame anywhere near the
              output you could end up with a flamethrower.
              Cheers
              Mal T.

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Interesting post Harry. I've often wondered why double helix
              > coils were used. I thought it was simply a method of saving
              > space. :)
              > >
              > > I bought my old pot still and assessories - for an outrageous
              > price, I now realize - and the condenser is sixteen feet of 0.375
              > inch tube coiled about ten inches diameter, making eight coils in a
              > five gallon bucket of water.
              > >
              > > Would it make a great difference if it were converted into a
              > smaller diameter double helix condenser?
              > >
              > > dawg
              >

              > Not really. You'd still have the same amount of heat transfer
              > surface (the tubing), just compressed into a smaller space.
              > Therefore heat dissipation would be the same. A worm in a tub is
              > fine for your setup. BTU's in = BTU's out. There's nothing magic
              > about it. And, if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it. :)
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

            • sonum norbu
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
                Yairs, this is what always worried me about a double helix. A pressure vessel is something I just do not want. As the still has worked OK for many years now, I'll stick to Harry's advice and leave well enough alone. :)))

              • tim smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
                  thanks harry....thanks  blanik..."rolls eyes"

                  Thanks Harry. :))

                  Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera. com