Re: [new_distillers] Distillate has more smell after carbon filtering?

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2007
      I used to use carbon all the time before I began making all grain mash and I found that when using sugar mash the carbon filtering removed almost all the smell. Never did it increase whether I used turbo or not. I don't use turbo these days as I've found that for my purposes, bread yeast is perfectly adequate, and a lot less expensive.

      However, try leaving it for a week or two in an open vessel to allow it to 'breath'. It will improve markedly.

      SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
      http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

      Powered by Outblaze
    • greg tufts
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007
        perhaps a more detailed description of your
        method would be of help. I have used Turbos for
        several years with
        no adverse filtering problems. Probably a stupid
        question but are
        you watering your product to at or below 50% ABV befor
        filtering ?
        If not than nasties will carry through to your
        product.
        cheers
        greg

        Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail. Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca
      • phillip_jefferies
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007
          Hi all,

          My still needs 750 watts as specified by the makers, I have a 900 watt
          element and a 1380 watt second element to boost. I didnt think that
          the extra 150 watts at cruise would make much difference, but I have
          found that due to the local voltage variation that my 900 watts is more
          like 1000 watts as I have 251 volts where I am.

          I have got a variac transformer from ebay this morning and have worked
          out the correct voltage for 750 watts from a 900 watt element(its 216.5
          volts), measured with a digital voltmeter.

          I cannot get below 80c when refluxing at the slowest possible (pre
          transformer), there is my problem ( I think). I'll let you know when I
          do my next run.

          I had watered my product to 45% before filtering, it was a great
          improvement on the first run which had too much yeast cloudiness in the
          boiler. My latest run was water clear in the boiler, but still done at
          1000w, as no variac on this one.

          Phil.