Re: Condenser Question

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dreamofgilgamesh"
      <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:

      > Dear Group, still trying to get everything sorted for my new 2"
      > Mini-Still and i have another question for you.
      > I have 20ft of 1/4" copper tube for the condenser. Is it more
      > efficient to make 1 long single coil or a shorter double coil?
      >
      > Many Thanks

      Broadly speaking, a double helix coil would be more efficient when
      compared to a single coil. Why? The double coil forms what is
      known as a "multi-pass" condenser configuration. This is where one
      of the fluids (in this case the water or coolant), traverses the
      length of the other fluid stream (the vapour) more than once. Thus
      the contact time between fluids (or to be precise, the heat-transfer
      interface contact) is increased. There is more opportunity for the
      heat to be transferred from hot fluid to cool fluid.

      Of course this is a simple explanation, but sufficient for our small
      needs. The true picture is one of vast complexity. Volumes have
      been written about heat transfer, fluid dynamics and heat exchanger
      design. It is a science in its own right.

    • sonum norbu
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2007

        Interesting post Harry. I've often wondered why double helix coils were used. I thought it was simply a method of saving space. :)

        I bought my old pot still and assessories - for an outrageous price, I now realize - and the condenser is sixteen feet of 0.375 inch tube coiled about ten inches diameter, making eight coils in a five gallon bucket of water.

        Would it make a great difference if it were converted into a smaller diameter double helix condenser?

        dawg

        > Broadly speaking, a double helix coil would be more efficient when
        > compared to a single coil. Why? The double coil forms what is
        > known as a "multi-pass" condenser configuration. This is where one
        > of the fluids (in this case the water or coolant), traverses the
        > length of the other fluid stream (the vapour) more than once. Thus
        > the contact time between fluids (or to be precise, the heat-transfer
        > interface contact) is increased. There is more opportunity for the
        > heat to be transferred from hot fluid to cool fluid.
        >
        > Of course this is a simple explanation, but sufficient for our small
        > needs. The true picture is one of vast complexity. Volumes have
        > been written about heat transfer, fluid dynamics and heat exchanger
        > design. It is a science in its own right.
        >
        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
        http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

        Powered by Outblaze
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 8, 2007
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
          wrote:

          > Interesting post Harry. I've often wondered why double helix
          coils were used. I thought it was simply a method of saving
          space. :)

          > I bought my old pot still and assessories - for an outrageous
          price, I now realize - and the condenser is sixteen feet of 0.375
          inch tube coiled about ten inches diameter, making eight coils in a
          five gallon bucket of water.

          > Would it make a great difference if it were converted into a
          smaller diameter double helix condenser?

          > dawg

          Not really. You'd still have the same amount of heat transfer
          surface (the tubing), just compressed into a smaller space.
          Therefore heat dissipation would be the same. A worm in a tub is
          fine for your setup. BTU's in = BTU's out. There's nothing magic
          about it. And, if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it. :)

        • sonum norbu
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
            Thanks Harry. :))

          • dreamofgilgamesh
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
              Thanks very much for your answers chaps, i'll go with the double coil then

              Best Wishes
            • duds2u
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
                Gravity has to have it's way in a worm condenser and have a
                continuous gradual downhill run to the output.
                If you make a double helix for the worm, half the direction of flow
                will be uphill and liquid doesn't like flowiing uphill of it's own
                accord.
                You would end up with a pool of liquid at the bottom of the double
                helix that will block any flow. Eventually you will pressurise the
                pot and it will forcibly blow the condensed alcohol out the end of
                your condenser. If you happen to have a flame anywhere near the
                output you could end up with a flamethrower.
                Cheers
                Mal T.

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Interesting post Harry. I've often wondered why double helix
                > coils were used. I thought it was simply a method of saving
                > space. :)
                > >
                > > I bought my old pot still and assessories - for an outrageous
                > price, I now realize - and the condenser is sixteen feet of 0.375
                > inch tube coiled about ten inches diameter, making eight coils in a
                > five gallon bucket of water.
                > >
                > > Would it make a great difference if it were converted into a
                > smaller diameter double helix condenser?
                > >
                > > dawg
                >

                > Not really. You'd still have the same amount of heat transfer
                > surface (the tubing), just compressed into a smaller space.
                > Therefore heat dissipation would be the same. A worm in a tub is
                > fine for your setup. BTU's in = BTU's out. There's nothing magic
                > about it. And, if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it. :)
                >

                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

              • sonum norbu
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
                  Yairs, this is what always worried me about a double helix. A pressure vessel is something I just do not want. As the still has worked OK for many years now, I'll stick to Harry's advice and leave well enough alone. :)))

                • tim smith
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 9, 2007
                    thanks harry....thanks  blanik..."rolls eyes"

                    Thanks Harry. :))

                    Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera. com