Distillate has more smell after carbon filtering?

  • phillip_jefferies
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8 3:18 AM
      Hi all,

      Used activated carbon and a Z filter for the first time today, followed
      all the instructions.
      I lifted the lid of the output bucket for a quick whiff and nearly had
      my nose blown off. A strong alcohol smell with more tails essence than
      before filtering. I'm guilty of using a turbo though. Only got one
      left then I'm giving them up, honest!

      Is this usual? (no, not the usage of turbos, the amplified smell after
      carboning) :>)

      Phil.
    • sonum norbu
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8 6:13 PM
        I used to use carbon all the time before I began making all grain mash and I found that when using sugar mash the carbon filtering removed almost all the smell. Never did it increase whether I used turbo or not. I don't use turbo these days as I've found that for my purposes, bread yeast is perfectly adequate, and a lot less expensive.

        However, try leaving it for a week or two in an open vessel to allow it to 'breath'. It will improve markedly.

        SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
        http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

        Powered by Outblaze
      • greg tufts
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10 5:28 AM
          perhaps a more detailed description of your
          method would be of help. I have used Turbos for
          several years with
          no adverse filtering problems. Probably a stupid
          question but are
          you watering your product to at or below 50% ABV befor
          filtering ?
          If not than nasties will carry through to your
          product.
          cheers
          greg

          Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail. Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca
        • phillip_jefferies
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10 7:42 AM
            Hi all,

            My still needs 750 watts as specified by the makers, I have a 900 watt
            element and a 1380 watt second element to boost. I didnt think that
            the extra 150 watts at cruise would make much difference, but I have
            found that due to the local voltage variation that my 900 watts is more
            like 1000 watts as I have 251 volts where I am.

            I have got a variac transformer from ebay this morning and have worked
            out the correct voltage for 750 watts from a 900 watt element(its 216.5
            volts), measured with a digital voltmeter.

            I cannot get below 80c when refluxing at the slowest possible (pre
            transformer), there is my problem ( I think). I'll let you know when I
            do my next run.

            I had watered my product to 45% before filtering, it was a great
            improvement on the first run which had too much yeast cloudiness in the
            boiler. My latest run was water clear in the boiler, but still done at
            1000w, as no variac on this one.

            Phil.