Re: USA legal situation

  • rhodeseng
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 6, 2007
      I don't ususlly add to the foray here.

      But in this case a little correction/clarification is needed.

      It is not illegal to posess a still in the US. It is illegal to
      posess an unlicensed one.

      It is illegal to sell untaxed acohol.

      I have a permit for a fuel process that uses a still to make ethanol.

      If any of the product leaves the property which is permitted, it
      must be denatured ( make undrinkable).

      its pretty simple to obtain one. requires a once a year report of
      production.

      I have mine hanging on the wall with pride. I just wish it was more
      professional looking.

      The permit is simply a authorized/signed copy of the application
      that was filled out.

      cary

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, jkirby007@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/6/2007 2:24:39 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      > dannym354@... writes:
      >
      > I'm doing some research on bootlegging, moonshine, stills, etc.,
      and
      > have a question for those in the US or familiar with the situation
      > here. Sorry if this has been covered on here, but I didn't see it
      > addressed in the FAQ (at least not exactly the question I have
      in mind).

      > any production at all and any kind of a still is very illegal in
      the US,
      > POSSESING A STILL IS A 10,000.00 FINE AND POSSIBLE taking your
      home at the same
      > tine , the likker is also the same if you get caught,
      > There are no other laws you dont make likker in the US, ha ha ha
      ha- there
      > are stories in the papers here in alabama very often of distillers
      and
      > sellers being caught,
      > being caught w a small amount of illicit likker here is just as
      bad as
      > being a bank robber,and is delt with just about as meanly.
      > BUT ALAS I STILL MAKE A LIL EVERY NOW AND AGAIN.
      > Antiquated laws like this make a lot of people out laws here.
      needless to
      > say it still happens,just dont get caught doing it .
      > SO any possesing or making of a still is illegal in the us, and
      also making
      > any whisky is illegal.

      new AOL at

    • rhodeseng
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 6, 2007
        My lawnmower prefers its fuel to be aged on oak.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rhodeseng" <rhodeseng@...>
        wrote:

        > I don't ususlly add to the foray here.
        >
        > But in this case a little correction/clarification is needed.
        >
        > It is not illegal to posess a still in the US. It is illegal to
        > posess an unlicensed one.
        >
        > It is illegal to sell untaxed acohol.
        >
        > I have a permit for a fuel process that uses a still to make
        ethanol.

        > If any of the product leaves the property which is permitted, it
        > must be denatured ( make undrinkable).
        >
        > its pretty simple to obtain one. requires a once a year report of
        > production.
        >
        > I have mine hanging on the wall with pride. I just wish it was
        more
        > professional looking.
        >
        > The permit is simply a authorized/signed copy of the application
        > that was filled out.
        >
        > cary
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, jkirby007@ wrote:
        > >

        > > In a message dated 8/6/2007 2:24:39 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
        > > dannym354@ writes:
        > >
        > > I'm doing some research on bootlegging, moonshine, stills,
        etc.,
        > and
        > > have a question for those in the US or familiar with the
        situation
        > > here. Sorry if this has been covered on here, but I didn't see
        it
        > > addressed in the FAQ (at least not exactly the question I have
        > in mind).
        > >

        > > any production at all and any kind of a still is very illegal in
        > the US,
        > > POSSESING A STILL IS A 10,000.00 FINE AND POSSIBLE taking your
        > home at the same
        > > tine , the likker is also the same if you get caught,
        > > There are no other laws you dont make likker in the US, ha ha
        ha
        > ha- there
        > > are stories in the papers here in alabama very often of
        distillers
        > and
        > > sellers being caught,
        > > being caught w a small amount of illicit likker here is just as
        > bad as
        > > being a bank robber,and is delt with just about as meanly.
        > > BUT ALAS I STILL MAKE A LIL EVERY NOW AND AGAIN.
        > > Antiquated laws like this make a lot of people out laws here.
        > needless to
        > > say it still happens,just dont get caught doing it .
        > > SO any possesing or making of a still is illegal in the us, and
        > also making
        > > any whisky is illegal.
        > >

        > > ************************************** Get a sneak peek of the
        all-
        > new AOL at
        > > http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

      • jim o
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 23, 2007
          where and how do you register your still. where and how do you get the
          permit to make fuel?

        • cls315@windstream.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 23, 2007
            I had always thought the "selling" of the liquor was illegal, not the personal consumption? Im a real newbie, so maybe Im just stupid.

            > From: "jim o" <jmoneil1947@...>
            > Date: 2007/08/23 Thu AM 09:50:42 CDT
            > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [new_distillers] Re: USA legal situation
            >
            > where and how do you register your still. where and how do you get the
            > permit to make fuel?
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, jkirby007@... wrote:
            > >

            > > In a message dated 8/6/2007 2:24:39 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
            > > dannym354@... writes:
            > >
            > > I'm doing some research on bootlegging, moonshine, stills, etc., and
            > > have a question for those in the US or familiar with the situation
            > > here. Sorry if this has been covered on here, but I didn't see it
            > > addressed in the FAQ (at least not exactly the question I have in
            > mind).
            > >

            > > any production at all and any kind of a still is very illegal in the
            > US,
            > > POSSESING A STILL IS A 10,000.00 FINE AND POSSIBLE taking your home at
            > the same
            > > tine , the likker is also the same if you get caught,
            > > There are no other laws you dont make likker in the US, ha ha ha ha-
            > there
            > > are stories in the papers here in alabama very often of distillers and
            > > sellers being caught,
            > > being caught w a small amount of illicit likker here is just as bad as
            > > being a bank robber,and is delt with just about as meanly.
            > > BUT ALAS I STILL MAKE A LIL EVERY NOW AND AGAIN.
            > > Antiquated laws like this make a lot of people out laws here. needless
            > > say it still happens,just dont get caught doing it .
            > > SO any possesing or making of a still is illegal in the us, and also
            > making
            > > any whisky is illegal.
            > >

            > > ************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new
            > AOL at
            > > http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

          • rye_junkie
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 23, 2007
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, <cls315@...> wrote:

              > I had always thought the "selling" of the liquor was illegal, not
              the personal consumption? Im a real newbie, so maybe Im just stupid.

              Not stupid but misinformed. Distilling Spirits for sale or personal
              use is still Illegal in the US. And if you google "moonshine arrests"
              you will come up with some very recent examples. However all of what
              you find will be because of selling or the persons caught with shine
              were initially busted for drugs and the cops added that to it. There
              seems to be some interesting things going on in Virginia over the last
              few years. The Stills sold on the web are sold as water distillers or
              for essential oils but keep in mind that in the US those businesses
              are required to keep records of those sales. Overseas and canada are
              not. Even some of the ATF agents dont know. I asked an agent a few
              years ago about it and she told me you could make up to 50 gallons for
              personal consumption. A few weeks later she called and said she was
              wrong.
              Don't sell it, don't Flaunt it, Keep you mash under 10 gallon
              batches. That way you could at least argue to the judge that you were
              doing it as a hobby. I really dont think most care any more as long
              as your not being stupid. Chances are it will be legal here in the
              next few years but I wont hold my breath. There are still to many
              people that think it is of the Devil. And to many politicians sitting
              around drinking illicit shine while thinking about the tax money they
              would lose.
            • Larry
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 23, 2007
                At 09:50 AM 08/23/2007, you wrote:
                > In a message dated 8/6/2007 2:24:39 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                > dannym354@... writes:
                >
                > I'm doing some research on bootlegging, moonshine, stills, etc., and
                > have a question for those in the US or familiar with the situation
                > here. Sorry if this has been covered on here, but I didn't see it
                > addressed in the FAQ (at least not exactly the question I have in mind).

                It is legal to own a still in the USA, it's even legal to buy and sell them, and several sites do exactly that.  Stills can be used to make distilled water, "essential oils", vinegar, and whatever.

                It's legal to a own gun in the USA, but in MOST cases, it's not legal to shoot someone with it... stills are the same way.   In MOST cases, it's not legal to distill alcohol with them, and never legal to distill alcohol for drinking purposes with them.

                Distilling drinking alcohol is a rollercoaster thing... all home alcohol production was illegal, a federal misdemeanor, then for a short while it was legal to make liquor, beer, and wine at home in small quantities for personal consumption.

                Then beer and wine were left alone, but home production of liquor in any quantity, for any purpose, not only went back to "illegal", but became a federal felony, instead of a misdemeanor.

                THEN, (just fairly recently) it became legal to distill ethanol for fuel purposes, by obtaining a federal permit to do so.  Instead of maximum quantities allowed, there were minimum quantities required, as I recall.

                Getting the permit for a home operation is not very expensive, it's priced by how many tens of thousands of gallons per year you want to be allowed to make.

                But there are some permit requirements other than money for getting it... not just a matter of filling out the form and paying the fee.

                You have to have your still located a specified distance from the nearest residential building, all alcohol must be denatured before it leaves your property, and there are several others which I don't remember.

                There are also local requirements that may need to be addressed.    I used to load my own rifle & pistol ammunition.  It was legal, under federal law, for me to have pretty much any quantity of smokeless powder that I cared to store.

                However, the city where I live had a limit of about 40 pounds, because it burns very fast and hot... they like for firefighters to have a chance of keeping your fire from visiting your next-door neighbor(s).  City ordinance also limits home storage of gasoline (and probably ethanol) for the same reason.

                So things that have nothing to do with legality of actually distilling the alcohol can also get in the way of a legal Shadetree E85 Distilling Plant.

                The U.S. government will actually PAY you to distill fuel alcohol (again, under certain requirements), though.

                If you own your own business, and burn your E85 in company vehicles, OR if you sell it to others, you can get a break on income-tax, in addition to deducting all costs of purchasing equipment and supplies, as Business Expenses.

                Someone also once told me that the U.S. Department of  Agriculture had something in their website about giving you a subsidy for distilling. I went to www.usda.com but didn't find anything, unless it was somewhere under "Grants", and curiosity didn't take me any farther.  Maybe yours will.

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 23, 2007
                  At 11:38 AM 08/23/2007, you wrote:
                  >I had always thought the "selling" of the liquor was illegal, not the
                  >personal consumption? Im a real newbie, so maybe Im just stupid.

                  It was, for a short period of time, legal to distill for personal
                  consumption only.
                  Before that, and ESPECIALLY after, it was/is illegal to distill alcohol for
                  drinking purposes in any amount at all.

                  Home distilling in any amount is a federal felony at present, except for
                  Fuel Alcohol by permit.

                  I'm not sure mere possession of moonshine is illegal, per se. It might be,
                  but I don't think so.

                  Even if not, possessing more of it than you could possibly drink yourself
                  could probably be snowballed into an assumption that you have it for the
                  purpose of selling it un-taxed (bootlegging), thus essentially getting you
                  busted for merely possessing it, ANYWAY.

                  As for enforcement in the USA, that isn't done too aggressively by the ATF
                  in most cases, because trying to get a living out of making and selling
                  moonshine is not a winning proposition.

                  Most people who get into it to make a living Moonshining For Fun & Profit,
                  don't do it too long before they quit so they can re-join the workforce and
                  keep paying the bills.

                  Major distilleries have gotten things so efficient that they can get a
                  bottle of liquor into a liquor store very cheaply and still make a good
                  profit.

                  By the time you bought the ingredients, made the liquor, and bottled it for
                  sale, the actual profit divided by the number of hours spent making it
                  would have you making less than minimum wage.

                  You could literally make better money ringing up beer & sodas at a
                  convenience store.

                  That isn't to say that moonshiners don't get arrested, and more often than
                  you generally hear about.

                  It's just that the ATF doesn't give a damn about you moonshining unless
                  some local Law Enforcer hands you over to them, already packaged and ready
                  to go, or unless you're selling enough to be dodging federal liquor taxes
                  in very serious amounts.

                  Keep in mind that any local cop can arrest you on a federal charge... your
                  arrest doesn't have to originate with the feds.

                  Most often, people get arrested when they flaunt it, and get turned-in.

                  For instance, you might take note of how seldom you see people are using
                  their real names in this forum, or even mentioning the cities they live in.
                  What you write here isn't as big a risk as your own mouth and actions at
                  home, though.

                  Your biggest danger is that you'll become widely known among your friends
                  as a moonshiner, then be turned in by one of them, OR by one of THEIR
                  friends they may have discussed you with (and whom you've never even met).

                  When people get arrested, and are offered legal benefits for information
                  about crimes committed by other people, you'd be surprised what they might
                  say about moonshiners they can finger.

                  There other things too... if your still starts a fire that is big enough to
                  make the fire department show up (or a helpful neighbor calls them), they
                  are likely to report you, even if they arrive without a police escort.

                  If relations with a next-door-neighbor aren't the best, and he sees or
                  hears about what you're doing, that can also result in a tip to local police.

                  Got a soon-to-be ex-girlfriend, or ex-wife? Things going south with a
                  former friend? You don't necessarily have to hang out with people likely
                  to get arrested for serious crimes to get yourself ratted-out...

                  The whole thing against moonshining, has been $$$, for a couple hundred
                  years in this country. At one time, some big moonshine state (Arkansas,
                  Tennessee, Kentucky, or somesuch) even set up a way for people to
                  anonymously pay liquor tax on moonshine!

                  That way, if they got caught later, they could at least dodge charges of
                  avoiding the state liquor tax, on top of the other charges they faced.
                • sonum norbu
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 23, 2007
                    The selling of liquor is illegal. The government hates competition. It's also illegal to distill in most countries - I think New Zealand is an exception - But id you keep your mouth shut and don't tell the world, you're probably safe. If you choose to sell it, well, that's your problem. I'm talking booze not fuel.

                    Blanikdog

                    SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                    http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

                    Powered by Outblaze
                  • xylic75
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 24, 2007
                      > The whole thing against moonshining, has been $$$, for a couple
                      hundred
                      > years in this country. At one time, some big moonshine state
                      (Arkansas,
                      > Tennessee, Kentucky, or somesuch) even set up a way for people to
                      > anonymously pay liquor tax on moonshine!
                      >
                      > That way, if they got caught later, they could at least dodge
                      charges of
                      > avoiding the state liquor tax, on top of the other charges they
                      faced.

                      That's in TN. And it more applies to marijuana than shine nowadays.
                      OR meth as that seems to be the new thing. Keeps the IRS from getting
                      involved. ;)

                      xyl