ethanol based biodiesel production

  • Steve Spence
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2000
      http://www.webconx.com/2000/biofuel/biodiesel_ethanol.htm

      Thanks to friend Aleks for digging this one up.

      "Conversion of rapeseed oil into ethyl esters for use as Biodiesel fuel
      involves transesterification of the oil triglycerides to mono-esters of the
      component fatty acids. To accomplish this conversion, raw rapeseed oil is
      treated at room temperature with ethyl alcohol in the presence of potassium
      hydroxide as a catalyst. During the process, the glycerol which is produced
      is insoluble in the ester product, and being heavier, settles out carrying
      most of the dissolved KOH catalyst with it. "

      Steve Spence
      Subscribe to the Renewable Energy Newsletter:
      http://www.webconx.com/subscribe.htm

      Renewable Energy Pages - http://www.webconx.com
      Palm Pilot Pages - http://www.webconx.com/palm
      X10 Home Automation - http://www.webconx.com/x10
      sspence@...
      (212) 894-3704 x3154 - voicemail/fax
      We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
      we borrow it from our children.