Re: Mini-Still Design Query

  • polaris041
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
      A good choice of design in my opinion.

      I found the slip couplings always had the potential for vapour leaks
      so eventually I utilized "O" rings, if I needed to make a join, but
      that requires a fair bit of work.

      So I would not be keen to cut that length of pipe at all. If you can
      handle the length for storage, a simpler method to sterilize is to
      braze/solder a 2" male thread on each end, to facilitate filling the
      column with vinegar and screw capping both ends.

      Recent posts by `Pint-o-shine' have been enlightening as to how
      little vapour actually passes through the slots as most `condensing'
      happens in the column. I recently increased my column from 1000mm to
      1500mm and have been impressed by the increase in the hearts to
      heads/tails volumes; the cuts are much sharper as well.

      Also be aware how easy it is to add VM to a Bokakob still. Merely
      braze a 1" male coupling to the column (again capable for storage)
      just below the plates opposite the needle valve. You can then take
      foreshots/heads by LM and switch to VM for hearts (keeps the oils out
      of your product condenser). So I would make the slot cross section
      about 1 sq inch.

      I have no experience of other than the thermometer at the top.

      For what it's worth regards pol

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dreamofgilgamesh"
      <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:

      > Dear Group, i managed to "acquire/liberate" a 1.8m length of 54mm
      > copper pipe today so it's time to make a new still and i thought I'd
      > make a Bokakob Mini-Still.
      > What i had in mind was to make it in basically 4 sections. The
      > condenser tube, the slanted plate/collection assembly and a 2 part
      > main column. The whole thing would be put together with 54mm
      > unsoldered slip couplings sealed with either flour paste or PTFE
      tape.
      > The idea being that not only will it store away neatly but i can
      also
      > drop all the components into a fermenter filled with sterilizer.
      >
      > Anyways, to my questions. I have studied the plans for the Bokakob
      > still thoroughly, but ideas change with time and experience.
      >
      > So, what would be the optimum distance between the 2 slanted plates?
      >
      > Also, what would be the optimum position to place the thermometer?
      >
      > Also what would be the optimum length of the packed column?
      >
      > Many Thanks

    • dreamofgilgamesh
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
        Thanks very much for your helpful suggestions, i'll certainly look
        into that.
        But maybe i can pick your brains further.
        On my existing still which is an offset head i made the condenser out
        of 20ft of 3/16th copper brake pipe in a double helix. I reckon i run
        my boiler at about 1000w or slightly less, the condenser works fine.

        On my new still i'll be using 1/4" mainly cos i can use some of it for
        the take off tube. So with taking that amount off, and a couple of ft
        for condenser "tails" i reckon i'll have 20ft left to make a coil.
        Is there any need to make a double coil, or given that i have ample 2"
        tube to house it can i make a single coil condenser?

        Thanks
      • polaris041
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
          Sorry friend;
          Can't help you with any information on coils.
          As I use a low pressure system and recirculate my cooling water I have
          a 'shot gun' type reflux condenser.

          <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:

          > Thanks very much for your helpful suggestions, i'll certainly look
          > into that.
          > But maybe i can pick your brains further.
          > On my existing still which is an offset head i made the condenser out
          > of 20ft of 3/16th copper brake pipe in a double helix. I reckon i run
          > my boiler at about 1000w or slightly less, the condenser works fine.
          >
          > On my new still i'll be using 1/4" mainly cos i can use some of it for
          > the take off tube. So with taking that amount off, and a couple of ft
          > for condenser "tails" i reckon i'll have 20ft left to make a coil.
          > Is there any need to make a double coil, or given that i have ample 2"
          > tube to house it can i make a single coil condenser?
          >
          > Thanks

        • tykjaw
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2007
            hi

            check the files section.

            excellent design calcs for air coole coils by aborzachtd.
            good luck

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "polaris041" <polaris@...>