Mini-Still Design Query

  • dreamofgilgamesh
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
      Dear Group, i managed to "acquire/liberate" a 1.8m length of 54mm
      copper pipe today so it's time to make a new still and i thought I'd
      make a Bokakob Mini-Still.
      What i had in mind was to make it in basically 4 sections. The
      condenser tube, the slanted plate/collection assembly and a 2 part
      main column. The whole thing would be put together with 54mm
      unsoldered slip couplings sealed with either flour paste or PTFE tape.
      The idea being that not only will it store away neatly but i can also
      drop all the components into a fermenter filled with sterilizer.

      Anyways, to my questions. I have studied the plans for the Bokakob
      still thoroughly, but ideas change with time and experience.

      So, what would be the optimum distance between the 2 slanted plates?

      Also, what would be the optimum position to place the thermometer?

      Also what would be the optimum length of the packed column?

      Many Thanks
    • polaris041
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
        A good choice of design in my opinion.

        I found the slip couplings always had the potential for vapour leaks
        so eventually I utilized "O" rings, if I needed to make a join, but
        that requires a fair bit of work.

        So I would not be keen to cut that length of pipe at all. If you can
        handle the length for storage, a simpler method to sterilize is to
        braze/solder a 2" male thread on each end, to facilitate filling the
        column with vinegar and screw capping both ends.

        Recent posts by `Pint-o-shine' have been enlightening as to how
        little vapour actually passes through the slots as most `condensing'
        happens in the column. I recently increased my column from 1000mm to
        1500mm and have been impressed by the increase in the hearts to
        heads/tails volumes; the cuts are much sharper as well.

        Also be aware how easy it is to add VM to a Bokakob still. Merely
        braze a 1" male coupling to the column (again capable for storage)
        just below the plates opposite the needle valve. You can then take
        foreshots/heads by LM and switch to VM for hearts (keeps the oils out
        of your product condenser). So I would make the slot cross section
        about 1 sq inch.

        I have no experience of other than the thermometer at the top.

        For what it's worth regards pol

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dreamofgilgamesh"
        <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:

        > Dear Group, i managed to "acquire/liberate" a 1.8m length of 54mm
        > copper pipe today so it's time to make a new still and i thought I'd
        > make a Bokakob Mini-Still.
        > What i had in mind was to make it in basically 4 sections. The
        > condenser tube, the slanted plate/collection assembly and a 2 part
        > main column. The whole thing would be put together with 54mm
        > unsoldered slip couplings sealed with either flour paste or PTFE
        tape.
        > The idea being that not only will it store away neatly but i can
        also
        > drop all the components into a fermenter filled with sterilizer.
        >
        > Anyways, to my questions. I have studied the plans for the Bokakob
        > still thoroughly, but ideas change with time and experience.
        >
        > So, what would be the optimum distance between the 2 slanted plates?
        >
        > Also, what would be the optimum position to place the thermometer?
        >
        > Also what would be the optimum length of the packed column?
        >
        > Many Thanks

      • dreamofgilgamesh
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
          Thanks very much for your helpful suggestions, i'll certainly look
          into that.
          But maybe i can pick your brains further.
          On my existing still which is an offset head i made the condenser out
          of 20ft of 3/16th copper brake pipe in a double helix. I reckon i run
          my boiler at about 1000w or slightly less, the condenser works fine.

          On my new still i'll be using 1/4" mainly cos i can use some of it for
          the take off tube. So with taking that amount off, and a couple of ft
          for condenser "tails" i reckon i'll have 20ft left to make a coil.
          Is there any need to make a double coil, or given that i have ample 2"
          tube to house it can i make a single coil condenser?

          Thanks
        • polaris041
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
            Sorry friend;
            Can't help you with any information on coils.
            As I use a low pressure system and recirculate my cooling water I have
            a 'shot gun' type reflux condenser.

            <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:

            > Thanks very much for your helpful suggestions, i'll certainly look
            > into that.
            > But maybe i can pick your brains further.
            > On my existing still which is an offset head i made the condenser out
            > of 20ft of 3/16th copper brake pipe in a double helix. I reckon i run
            > my boiler at about 1000w or slightly less, the condenser works fine.
            >
            > On my new still i'll be using 1/4" mainly cos i can use some of it for
            > the take off tube. So with taking that amount off, and a couple of ft
            > for condenser "tails" i reckon i'll have 20ft left to make a coil.
            > Is there any need to make a double coil, or given that i have ample 2"
            > tube to house it can i make a single coil condenser?
            >
            > Thanks

          • tykjaw
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2007
              hi

              check the files section.

              excellent design calcs for air coole coils by aborzachtd.
              good luck

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "polaris041" <polaris@...>