Re: reflux vs. pot still

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Multiple distillations does not give you pure product with no off
      flavors. What it does is to concentrate each different boiling point
      compounds. This in turn (with proper still operation procedure)
      allows you to withdraw different compounds in order of the boiling
      point. That's why we do cuts - the middle cut in this case should be
      pure ethanol.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
      wrote:

      > Dude,
      > REFLUX. A reflux still will distill multiple times before it
      produces.
      > Therefore you have a purer product with no flavour just alcohol-
      > which is what you want. If you want flavour (scotch, brandy,
      calvados,
      > peary etc) go with the pot still. You will want to go and research
      > active charcoal filtering for your white spirits. It is the
      difference
      > between homemade and commercial quality. You can save a lot of time
      > and questions just by going to the homedistiller.org site and
      Reading.
      > Cheers
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "weisst69" <toddweiss@>
      wrote:

      > > If I were looking to do mainly rums and vodka, which type of
      still
      > > would be better: reflux or pot still. I would like to maintain
      a lot
      > > of flavors with the rums. Am I right to understand that with a
      reflux
      > > still, I can shut down part of the column and it will
      effectively act
      > > like a pot still?
      > >
      > > PS - If you can't tell, I am a newbie. Get ready, I plan on
      having
      > > lots of questions.

    • greg tufts
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
        welcome
        A pot still would be simpler in construction and
        produce
        the product you desire eg rums vodkas etc, however a
        reflux
        still with the packing removed will act as a pot
        still. Hope this
        doesn't muddy things too much.
        cheers
        greg