Re: reflux vs. pot still

  • mstehelin
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Dude,
      REFLUX. A reflux still will distill multiple times before it produces.
      Therefore you have a purer product with no flavour just alcohol-
      which is what you want. If you want flavour (scotch, brandy, calvados,
      peary etc) go with the pot still. You will want to go and research
      active charcoal filtering for your white spirits. It is the difference
      between homemade and commercial quality. You can save a lot of time
      and questions just by going to the homedistiller.org site and Reading.
      Cheers

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "weisst69" <toddweiss@...> wrote:

      > If I were looking to do mainly rums and vodka, which type of still
      > would be better: reflux or pot still. I would like to maintain a lot
      > of flavors with the rums. Am I right to understand that with a reflux
      > still, I can shut down part of the column and it will effectively act
      > like a pot still?
      >
      > PS - If you can't tell, I am a newbie. Get ready, I plan on having
      > lots of questions.

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
        Multiple distillations does not give you pure product with no off
        flavors. What it does is to concentrate each different boiling point
        compounds. This in turn (with proper still operation procedure)
        allows you to withdraw different compounds in order of the boiling
        point. That's why we do cuts - the middle cut in this case should be
        pure ethanol.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
        wrote:

        > Dude,
        > REFLUX. A reflux still will distill multiple times before it
        produces.
        > Therefore you have a purer product with no flavour just alcohol-
        > which is what you want. If you want flavour (scotch, brandy,
        calvados,
        > peary etc) go with the pot still. You will want to go and research
        > active charcoal filtering for your white spirits. It is the
        difference
        > between homemade and commercial quality. You can save a lot of time
        > and questions just by going to the homedistiller.org site and
        Reading.
        > Cheers
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "weisst69" <toddweiss@>
        wrote:

        > > If I were looking to do mainly rums and vodka, which type of
        still
        > > would be better: reflux or pot still. I would like to maintain
        a lot
        > > of flavors with the rums. Am I right to understand that with a
        reflux
        > > still, I can shut down part of the column and it will
        effectively act
        > > like a pot still?
        > >
        > > PS - If you can't tell, I am a newbie. Get ready, I plan on
        having
        > > lots of questions.

      • greg tufts
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
          welcome
          A pot still would be simpler in construction and
          produce
          the product you desire eg rums vodkas etc, however a
          reflux
          still with the packing removed will act as a pot
          still. Hope this
          doesn't muddy things too much.
          cheers
          greg