Oldstyle yeasts (was) Re: Sugar question

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
      It is also the only documented Australian 'sly grog' (illegal rum)
      recipe that I have seen. Convicts were still sent to Australia until
      about the time of the recipe.
      wal

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Eugene Harrison" <eugh@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Old potaoes, old maize ....
      > > What does this accomplish?
      > > Eugene
      >

      > Bear in mind that this rum recipe is circa 1870. In those days
      > there were no ready sources of pure-strain yeasts for the common
      > man, nor stores to stock them, nor any useful refrigeration or on-
      > demand electricity in country areas. Hell, they didn't even have
      > telephones, and internet was a hundred years away! We tend to
      > forget how our forefathers managed. Try reading the Foxfire series
      > sometime. A real eye-opener.
      >
      > So, in days of yore, almost all yeasts for small-scale fermentations
      > and breadmaking were captured from the wild, and used much like we
      > use sourdoughs today. When breadmaking, a piece of uncooked dough
      > was kept back and re-moistened to start the next day's doughs.
      > People jealously guarded their sourdoughs because it often meant the
      > difference between eating or starving!
      >
      > Our ancestors knew how to propagate these wild spores. Old potatoes
      > and old grains provided a ready source of easily-broken down starch,
      > fully matured (therefore somewhat sweet already) as a growth medium
      > for the wild spores. Given this knowledge, it's not surprising to
      > see the growth medium incorporated into recipes for booze of that
      > era.
      >
      > Of course we today know a little more about fermentation and what
      > yeasts and bacteria can use as foods, plus we have the advantage of
      > all the mod cons e.g. pure strains, refrigeration, ready access to
      > cultures etc.
      >
      > If you want to try making bread or brew without commercial yeast,
      > here's a standard recipe for making sourdough starter which can be
      > used both as a source of leavening for breads, and as a starter for
      > old-style brews. How it performs will largely depend on the strains
      > of yeast and bacteria floating in the air in your area, but remember
      > all the famous strains were once wild, so if you persist and
      > propagate any good ones (good results, that is), you just may come
      > up with that 'unique' style you're looking for in your brews or
      > homemade breads. :)
      >
      > Here's the recipe...
      >
      > INGREDIENTS:
      > Old Potatoes 100g (4oz)
      > Rye Flour 100g (4oz)
      > Sugar 2 tsp
      > Salt 1/2 tsp
      >
      > METHOD:
      > 1. Boil the un-peeled potatoes.
      > 2. Mash them into the cooking water.
      > 3. Add remaining ingredients and stir.
      > 4. Leave uncovered outdoors for 2 hours.
      > 5. Bring indoors, cover with a cloth and leave for 3 days.
      > 6. Use instead of yeast in your recipe.
      >
      > Enjoy!
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

    • sonum norbu
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
        And thank 'god' that the British sent their best to AUSTRALIA. :)

        SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
        http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

        Powered by Outblaze
      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
          ..AND...it makes a bloody good Rum. :)

          I's so great to have 'freedom fighter' piss pots as our founders. Long May They Reign!!!