reflux vs. pot still

  • weisst69
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2007
      If I were looking to do mainly rums and vodka, which type of still
      would be better: reflux or pot still. I would like to maintain a lot
      of flavors with the rums. Am I right to understand that with a reflux
      still, I can shut down part of the column and it will effectively act
      like a pot still?

      PS - If you can't tell, I am a newbie. Get ready, I plan on having
      lots of questions.
    • mstehelin
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
        Dude,
        REFLUX. A reflux still will distill multiple times before it produces.
        Therefore you have a purer product with no flavour just alcohol-
        which is what you want. If you want flavour (scotch, brandy, calvados,
        peary etc) go with the pot still. You will want to go and research
        active charcoal filtering for your white spirits. It is the difference
        between homemade and commercial quality. You can save a lot of time
        and questions just by going to the homedistiller.org site and Reading.
        Cheers

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "weisst69" <toddweiss@...> wrote:

        > If I were looking to do mainly rums and vodka, which type of still
        > would be better: reflux or pot still. I would like to maintain a lot
        > of flavors with the rums. Am I right to understand that with a reflux
        > still, I can shut down part of the column and it will effectively act
        > like a pot still?
        >
        > PS - If you can't tell, I am a newbie. Get ready, I plan on having
        > lots of questions.

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
          Multiple distillations does not give you pure product with no off
          flavors. What it does is to concentrate each different boiling point
          compounds. This in turn (with proper still operation procedure)
          allows you to withdraw different compounds in order of the boiling
          point. That's why we do cuts - the middle cut in this case should be
          pure ethanol.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
          wrote:

          > Dude,
          > REFLUX. A reflux still will distill multiple times before it
          produces.
          > Therefore you have a purer product with no flavour just alcohol-
          > which is what you want. If you want flavour (scotch, brandy,
          calvados,
          > peary etc) go with the pot still. You will want to go and research
          > active charcoal filtering for your white spirits. It is the
          difference
          > between homemade and commercial quality. You can save a lot of time
          > and questions just by going to the homedistiller.org site and
          Reading.
          > Cheers
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "weisst69" <toddweiss@>
          wrote:

          > > If I were looking to do mainly rums and vodka, which type of
          still
          > > would be better: reflux or pot still. I would like to maintain
          a lot
          > > of flavors with the rums. Am I right to understand that with a
          reflux
          > > still, I can shut down part of the column and it will
          effectively act
          > > like a pot still?
          > >
          > > PS - If you can't tell, I am a newbie. Get ready, I plan on
          having
          > > lots of questions.

        • greg tufts
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
            welcome
            A pot still would be simpler in construction and
            produce
            the product you desire eg rums vodkas etc, however a
            reflux
            still with the packing removed will act as a pot
            still. Hope this
            doesn't muddy things too much.
            cheers
            greg