Re: true corn whiskey

  • toddk63
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2007
      I just got a look at at my "actuals". Here are the actual values.
      The previous were off the top of my head. Only the water amounts change.

      -Heat 7.0 gal. treated brewing water to 172F
      -Add 13# cornmeal, add 3 oz. barley (or 1.5 tsp amylase)
      -Rest 20 min. Keep below 160F
      -Full Boil 20 min. Let air cool (stirring) for 10 min.
      -Add 4# flaked rye . Stir. Add 4 gal cool water. Let cool to 160 F.
      -add 3 oz. barley (or 1.5 tsp amylase)
      -Let cool to 152F. Add 3# barley
      -Mash 120 min between 150-140F
      -Chill below 85F, Add glucodiase (6 tabs Beano)
      -Ferment on the grain at 75-80F
      -Strain and pot still 2 times

      Yields 11.5 gallons to fermenter. Fermented out to 1.004 SG. After
      straining, 8.6 gallons of 7.5% abv to still.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

      > The title of your post sez "true". To me that means no cheating with
      > cane sugar and the like. Only corn, barley, rye and/or wheat. It's a
      > lot of messing around, but I think it is worth it. All grain brewing
      > experience would go a long ways. And you really DON'T want a reflux
      > still for this. That would be making vodka. Anyways here are my
      > proportions:
      >
      > -Heat 6.0 gal. treated brewing water to 172F
      > -Add 13# cornmeal, add 3 oz. barley (or 1.5 tsp amylase)
      > -Rest 20 min. Keep below 160F
      > -Full Boil 20 min. Let air cool (stirring) for 10 min.
      > -Add 4# flaked rye . Stir. Add 4.5 gal cool water. Let cool to 160 F.
      > -add 3 oz. barley (or 1.5 tsp amylase)
      > -Let cool to 152F. Add 3# barley
      > -Mash 120 min between 150-140F
      > -Chill below 85F, Add glucodiase (6 tabs Beano)
      > -Ferment on the grain at 75-80F
      > -Strain and pot still 2 times
      >
      > This should make 11 gallons of 7.5% abv wash. The proportions were
      > carefully calculated (and tweaked) to optimize the stiffness of the
      > corn mush (thinner is better), the final gravity of the wash (more is
      > better), and to minimize the amount of cooling time or use of
      > chillers. A chiller is still needed after the 120 min mash.
      >
      > Todd K.
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "djhaywo" <djhayworth@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm looking for a good corn whiskey wash. I'm gonna start off with a
      > > pot still " I know I need to go with at least reflux" But this a
      family
      > > thing and I wanna do it this way. the still has already been
      tested but
      > > I lost my HD and now I need a good wash recipe to get things going.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance
      > > "try not to be to hard on me
      lol"