Re:cleaning solution.

  • Gary Boyco
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 20, 2007
      Wow. More and more difficult to obtain,expensive and dangerous chemicals.

      Isn't there something a small scale hobby distiller (like me) can use after each run to keep the system clean that is a little more common and less powerful? I was thinking regular strength hydrogen peroxide or vinigar?

      Gary

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
    • just me
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 20, 2007
        I know that you can use hydrogen peroxide and vinegar as a sanitizing agent. You  put each in separate spray bottle. It doesn't matter which you spray first. But they have to be in separate bottles.hope this helps.
      • Gary Boyco
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
          Great!

          Why can't they be mixed?

          Gary

        • just me
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
            this link will explain it better than i can. Tau Topics - Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide as Disinfectants
          • leo_advocaat
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
              I don't why you people go for all the exotic sterilizers. When you
              distill, there is always some distillate that you chuck out. This is
              the best sterilizer there is. Pure alcohol has been used in
              sterilization in hospitals and as swabs for injections for many years.
              Then just rinse out with H2O (water) and you have just recycled some of
              your low/high end distillate.Cheers
            • Shane Clayton
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 22, 2007

                I think there needs to be a differentiation between sterilizing and sanitising here, coming from a pharmaceutical background, sterilizing is literally removing “all” bacteria and sanitizing is “lowering” them to an acceptable level.

                Alcohol will clean but washing with water will again introduce bacteria if not properly dried, I agree it’s a good sanitizing method but not infallible

                Just my 2 bobs worth again J

                R egards S hane

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.

              • Gary Boyco
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 22, 2007
                  no link

                • just me
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 22, 2007
                    http://www.michaelandjudystouffer.com/judy/articles/vinegar.htm  copy the underlined and paste in your browser. that should work.
                  • pieter post
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 6, 2007
                      wel, almost. The best sterilization occurs with 70 % ethanol and not at
                      higher concentrations.

                      >From: "leo_advocaat" <leo_advocaat@...>
                      >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [new_distillers] Re:cleaning solution.
                      >Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 06:38:19 -0000
                      >

                      >I don't why you people go for all the exotic sterilizers. When you
                      >distill, there is always some distillate that you chuck out. This is
                      >the best sterilizer there is. Pure alcohol has been used in
                      >sterilization in hospitals and as swabs for injections for many years.
                      >Then just rinse out with H2O (water) and you have just recycled some of
                      >your low/high end distillate.Cheers

                    • sn_cur
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 6, 2007

                        > wel, almost. The best sterilization occurs with 70 % ethanol and not at
                        > higher concentrations.

                        1. Isopropanol is best at 70%. Ethanol is best at 62%.

                        2. Alcohol is not great at killing fungii or bacteria.

                        3. Alcohol isn't as effective in the presence of organic matter, so clean the container well
                        first.