Re: Shakedown run on new PDA-1

  • phillip_jefferies
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
      Hi Harry, thanks for the link to the calculator. I'll get my multimeter
      on the boiler in the morning. I wont bother the Mikes about it until I
      know the wattage of the boilers elements as I may have more watts than
      I reckoned for.

      Phil.
    • tyler_97355
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
        It could be too much power like Harry said, or you could have put
        too much water in there. If you fill the boiler too full, it can
        boil up into the column and "puke" out in spurts. Thats happened to
        me a few times. I would say, make sure that the boiler is only 1/2 -
        2/3 full. If that doesn't help. Try reducing the power.

        Just my two cents.

        -Tyler

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "phillip_jefferies"
        <phillip_jefferies@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I did a shakedown run with water only on my new PDA-1 tonight.
        >
        > On two elements (a guess of 1500W as the makers of the boiler wont
        > answer my emails - take a hint and dont buy anything from
        > www.oldesettlers.com)
        > I am getting a little pressure from the small hole at the top of
        the
        > still, with a bit of moisture in. Its not very hot though. the
        > distillate is coming out in spurts, ie nothing for 10 seconds then
        > fast stream, then nothing again for ten seconds or so except a
        couple
        > of drips, almost like a pressure is building and pushing the
        > distillate out. This was with the needle valve full open.
        > I did think that maybe there wasnt enough water pressure on the
        coil,
        > but with the tap on full the water exiting the coil was barely
        warm.

        > With only one element on there is no discharge from the top vent,
        but
        > the product is still coming in spurts. It may be that I have two
        > 1000W elements? The elements are constantly on, so it is not surge
        > boiling.
        >
        > I dont have town water, only tank water with my own pump. I do have
        > the equivalent to mains pressure though (I get a good shower and my
        > bath fills very quickly).
        >
        > A very well made still, with a lot of attention to build quality. I
        > am very happy with it.
        >
        > As a total newcomer to this hobby I dont know what the signs mean,
        > any help appreciated. I have had a search of the forums and no luck
        > yet.
        >
        > Phil.

      • phillip_jefferies
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
          Hi,

          The elements are 1kw each. I will have to get a dimmer/controller or
          replace one of the elements with a 750w.

          I ran 20 litres of turbo today, as soon as it boiled I turned one
          element off. I opened the reflux valve wide for a stripping run and
          got one litre in 45 minutes. It all came through at 88C except for
          200ml at the start which was 82C. When I tested it it was 75%
          alcohol, with no reflux running. I think that for a stripping run a
          little more power is required. I was still getting a little product
          evaporating through the top vent as well.
          I shut down at 90C having collected 1.5 litres (in 1hr 20 min)as I am
          intending to add the remaining 5 litres of wash and run again. Is
          this ok to do?
          Is my high wine a bit too high? :>)

          The exiting coolant was about 10C warmer than incoming, the high run
          temp has me baffled though, is it because of my 1kw input?

          Next run is not going to be a turbo, & its time to buy another
          fermenter!

          Phil.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...>
          wrote:

          > It could be too much power like Harry said, or you could have put
          > too much water in there. If you fill the boiler too full, it can
          > boil up into the column and "puke" out in spurts. Thats happened to
          > me a few times. I would say, make sure that the boiler is only 1/2 -

          > 2/3 full. If that doesn't help. Try reducing the power.
          >
          > Just my two cents.
          >
          > -Tyler
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "phillip_jefferies"
          > <phillip_jefferies@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I did a shakedown run with water only on my new PDA-1 tonight.
          > >
          > > On two elements (a guess of 1500W as the makers of the boiler
          wont
          > > answer my emails - take a hint and dont buy anything from
          > > www.oldesettlers.com)
          > > I am getting a little pressure from the small hole at the top of
          > the
          > > still, with a bit of moisture in. Its not very hot though. the
          > > distillate is coming out in spurts, ie nothing for 10 seconds
          then
          > > fast stream, then nothing again for ten seconds or so except a
          > couple
          > > of drips, almost like a pressure is building and pushing the
          > > distillate out. This was with the needle valve full open.
          > > I did think that maybe there wasnt enough water pressure on the
          > coil,
          > > but with the tap on full the water exiting the coil was barely
          > warm.
          > >
          > > With only one element on there is no discharge from the top vent,
          > but
          > > the product is still coming in spurts. It may be that I have two
          > > 1000W elements? The elements are constantly on, so it is not surge
          > > boiling.
          > >
          > > I dont have town water, only tank water with my own pump. I do
          have
          > > the equivalent to mains pressure though (I get a good shower and
          my
          > > bath fills very quickly).
          > >
          > > A very well made still, with a lot of attention to build quality.
          > > am very happy with it.
          > >
          > > As a total newcomer to this hobby I dont know what the signs mean,
          > > any help appreciated. I have had a search of the forums and no
          luck
          > > yet.
          > >
          > > Phil.

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2007
            You shouldn't have any spurts running at 1kW. One possibility is
            that the packing is touching the the downcomer pipe in LM reservoir.
            When the packing is wet it may cause flooding and spurting. Moving
            the packing 1-2cm downwards should fix the problem.

            Cheers, Riku

            <phillip_jefferies@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > The elements are 1kw each. I will have to get a dimmer/controller
            or
            > replace one of the elements with a 750w.
            >
            > I ran 20 litres of turbo today, as soon as it boiled I turned one
            > element off. I opened the reflux valve wide for a stripping run
            and
            > got one litre in 45 minutes. It all came through at 88C except
            for
            > 200ml at the start which was 82C. When I tested it it was 75%
            > alcohol, with no reflux running. I think that for a stripping run
            > little more power is required. I was still getting a little
            product
            > evaporating through the top vent as well.
            > I shut down at 90C having collected 1.5 litres (in 1hr 20 min)as I
            am
            > intending to add the remaining 5 litres of wash and run again. Is
            > this ok to do?
            > Is my high wine a bit too high? :>)
            >
            > The exiting coolant was about 10C warmer than incoming, the high
            run
            > temp has me baffled though, is it because of my 1kw input?
            >
            > Next run is not going to be a turbo, & its time to buy another
            > fermenter!
            >
            > Phil.

          • phillip_jefferies
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 8, 2007
              Thanks Riku, that hit the nail on the head!

              The packing was touching the LM downcomer, moved it down to its
              proper position and the temp and spurt problems have gone away.

              Phil.