Re: Plastic jacketed condensers

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dearknarl <dearknarl@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Trid and Harry,
      >
      > I already figured that the condensing power was plenty with that many
      > pipes, and the summated cross sectional area is equivalent to at least
      > a 20mm ID pipe which wouldn't flood, but I was actually concerned
      > about the surface tention of the liquid causing flooding or
      > spluttering becasue of the smaller diameter pipes. What is the typical
      > tube size that people use for shotgun/gattling gun condensers?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > knarl.

      Well I don't know what the typical size is that people use, but I can tell you the correct size...6mm OD tube.

      Reasons?  6mm tube is actually 6.35mm OD and 4.53mm ID with a 0.91mm wall thickness.  This 4.53mm inner diameter is the perfect size for liquid droplets to form and travel.  If you go much larger in bore size, you risk getting 'blow-by' of uncondensed vapours because the cooling effect reduces rapidly once you get past 2mm from the condensing surface ( the tube wall ).  Thus a 4.53mm bore is right for bigger (relatively) liquid droplets and almost perfect to eradicate blow-by.

      There won't be (or shouldn't be) any vapour pressure forcing the liquid out of the tubes because as you have already discovered, the combined area of 21 tubes is quite large.

      Area of a circle is Pi times radius squared ( ð r² ).

      3.1416 x (½ x 4.53)² = 16 sq.mm

      By 21 tubes = 16 x 21 = 336 sq.mm

      That's about equal to a single 22mm OD tube with a 0.91 wall.

      Because the condenser is in a vertical or 45° downward configuration, gravity should take care of any surface tension of the liquid in the tube bores.  If in doubt, test it with a cup of water poured in the top end vapour side.  You'll see it readily runs through.

    • dearknarl
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
        Harry,

        The more I think about it, the less I think the tubes would get
        flooded. Even at 80ml per min condensate, that's less than 4ml per min
        for each tube, and at a guess that's one or two drips per second,
        which would only be a trickle on the inside of the tubes - nothing
        that's going to stop rising vapor.

        Cheers,
        knarl.