Spinning band distillation.

  • mstehelin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
      Has this been discussed before?
      I did a quick search and didn't turn up anything
      Cheers

      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

      Spinning band distillation.

      Spinning band distillation is a technique used to separate liquid
      mixtures which are similar in boiling points. When liquids with
      similar boiling points are distilled, the vapors are mixtures, and not
      pure compounds. Fractionating columns help separate the mixture by
      allowing the mixed vapors to cool, condense, and vaporize again in
      accordance with Raoult's law. With each condensation-vaporization
      cycles, the vapors are enriched in a certain component. A larger
      surface area allows more cycles, improving separation.

      Spinning band distillation takes this concept one step further by
      using a spinning helical band made of an inert material such as metal
      or Teflon to push the rising vapors and descending condensate to the
      sides of the column, coming into close contact with each other. This
      speeds up equilibration and provides for a greater number of
      condensation-vaporization cycles.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
        wrote:

        > Has this been discussed before?
        > I did a quick search and didn't turn up anything
        > Cheers
        >

        > From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        >
        > Spinning band distillation.
        >
        > Spinning band distillation is a technique used to separate liquid
        > mixtures which are similar in boiling points. When liquids with
        > similar boiling points are distilled, the vapors are mixtures, and
        not
        > pure compounds. Fractionating columns help separate the mixture by
        > allowing the mixed vapors to cool, condense, and vaporize again in
        > accordance with Raoult's law. With each condensation-vaporization
        > cycles, the vapors are enriched in a certain component. A larger
        > surface area allows more cycles, improving separation.
        >
        > Spinning band distillation takes this concept one step further by
        > using a spinning helical band made of an inert material such as
        metal
        > or Teflon to push the rising vapors and descending condensate to
        the
        > sides of the column, coming into close contact with each other.
        This
        > speeds up equilibration and provides for a greater number of
        > condensation-vaporization cycles.

        Interesting concept. But I don't see any advantages over a well-
        packed column. In my mind's eye I see most of the internal volume
        of the column being taken up with a spiral or helical blade the
        length of the column. How it's driven is a matter for speculation
        (mechanically? or rising vapour?).
        Whatever, it will be complicated. Bearings or bushes, non-leaking
        and hot ethanol-resistant are just some of the issues that spring to
        mind.

        Then there's the obvious issue of all the vapours and the liquid
        only using the column walls as a path both ways. Won't this lead to
        channelling, the supposed no-no?

        I'd bet my next production run that if you compared similar sized
        columns, one with mesh packing & one with a heli-coil insert, the
        packed column would win hands-down on quality as well as
        volume/per/hr, due to the much larger surface area available in the
        packing. A quick look at the Mike's "The Compleat Distiller" or
        homedistiller.org will tell you about packing's capabilities.

        However, as always it would be interesting to do a comparison (any
        takers?).

        Just my 3¢ (inflation).

      • Neil Stephens
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
          Gday,

          I'm just guessing, but I'd say that technique sounds like it is for
          improving an unpacked column, but it wouldn't be an improvement on a
          column with high surface area packing. It might even be talking about
          a column with natural reflux instead of forced reflux as in a compound
          still.

          Cheers,
          knarl.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
            You beat me to it! with a lots better answer as well!

            Cheers,
            knarl.

          • sn_cur
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...> wrote:

              > Has this been discussed before?

              Check this out:

              http://homedistiller.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3333
            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
                It was an interesting idea but the results he published were not as
                good as one would get with shorter packed column. What was different
                with that setup was that it could stand roughly double the power
                when compared to a packed column. It would have been interesting to
                get some results after he sorted out all the bugs to figure out the
                real performance.

                Cheers, Riku