Re: First Run Failure (sort of)

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3 4:22 AM
      I'd say cooling management, not vapor management. What Harry says is
      true and a good advice. While you fix the condenser you can also
      make it longer to improve it's cooling capacity. Another alternative
      is to stuff a small piece of potscrubber to the end of the liebig to
      slow down vapor (it accelerates downstream) and allow better cooling.

      Cheers, Riku

      > A picture is not necessary. By his description he has a stock
      > standard Vapour Management still. All copper in contact with
      vapours
      > all the way through. Reflux coil on top. Vapour path to a liebig
      > condenser for product.
      >
      > What he did do is use a plastic outer sleeve on the liebig
      condenser
      > as the water sleeve. This has been done many times before. A
      method
      > of reducing build costs. However, as he has discovered, using a
      soft
      > plastic is not a good idea due to heating/softening/water-leakage
      > issues.
      >
      > Recommendation: Bite the bullet & use a copper sleeve that's
      properly
      > soldered. Copper-to-copper has no issues. Copper-to-stainless or
      > copper-to-plastic has issues. Stainless or PVC sleeves will work,
      but
      > there's always going to be leakage issues due to the different
      heat
      > expansion rates between copper and plastics, or copper and
      stainless
      > (the joins will crack). IOW, if using synthetic outer sleeve on a
      > liebig, expect it to spring water leaks quite often.
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

    • bennalls1983
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3 5:50 AM
        <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

        Another alternative
        > is to stuff a small piece of potscrubber to the end of the liebig to
        > slow down vapor (it accelerates downstream) and allow better cooling.
        >
        > Cheers, Riku
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > A picture is not necessary. By his description he has a stock
        > > standard Vapour Management still. All copper in contact with
        > vapours
        > > all the way through.

        Thanks everyone for your comments

        Harry, you are correct. The vapour doesn't come into contact with
        anything other than copper. The plastic outer tube of the condensor
        was only because the hardware store didn't have the copper reducer I
        needed for a copper sleeve I have already built (I guess it pays to be
        patient). My copper condensor is also has a smaller diameter than the
        plastic so it might be more efficient.

        Riku, the potscrubber idea in the condensor is good. I will do this.
        As well as slowing the vapour it might help transfer the heat from the
        copper pipe to the centre of the condensor.

        I will take some photos and post once the camera batteries are
        charged. Next run will be in a couple of weekends... Oh well, it will
        be worth it in the end.
      • bennalls1983
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16 9:19 AM
          Well I managed to get my copper condensor on tonight and did a test/cleaning run with water. On full power with no scrubbers everything was being condensed, no steam at all. I did spring a leak with the condensor at the joints but fixed with no trouble. Tommorrows the night, so excited....