Re: [new_distillers] First Run Failure (sort of)

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
      At 02:44 AM 7/1/2007, you wrote:

      > Now I need to come up with a
      >better condensor design. I would like to use pipe for ease of
      >construction. Any suggestions would be appreciated? I was originally
      >going to go for PVC but couldn't get the right connections at Bunnings.

      I'd love to see a picture of your still with detail shots of
      connections, condenser etc. That way it might be possible to make
      practical suggestions for your consideration.

      Derek Hamlet
      Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for
      authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in
      places of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room.
      They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble food and
      tyrannize their teachers."

      - North America in 2007?
      -Guess again...Socrates (c. 470-399 BC)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...>
        wrote:

        > At 02:44 AM 7/1/2007, you wrote:
        >
        > > Now I need to come up with a
        > >better condensor design. I would like to use pipe for ease of
        > >construction. Any suggestions would be appreciated? I was originally
        > >going to go for PVC but couldn't get the right connections at
        Bunnings.

        > I'd love to see a picture of your still with detail shots of
        > connections, condenser etc. That way it might be possible to make
        > practical suggestions for your consideration.
        >

        > Derek Hamlet

        A picture is not necessary. By his description he has a stock
        standard Vapour Management still. All copper in contact with vapours
        all the way through. Reflux coil on top. Vapour path to a liebig
        condenser for product.

        What he did do is use a plastic outer sleeve on the liebig condenser
        as the water sleeve. This has been done many times before. A method
        of reducing build costs. However, as he has discovered, using a soft
        plastic is not a good idea due to heating/softening/water-leakage
        issues.

        Recommendation: Bite the bullet & use a copper sleeve that's properly
        soldered. Copper-to-copper has no issues. Copper-to-stainless or
        copper-to-plastic has issues. Stainless or PVC sleeves will work, but
        there's always going to be leakage issues due to the different heat
        expansion rates between copper and plastics, or copper and stainless
        (the joins will crack). IOW, if using synthetic outer sleeve on a
        liebig, expect it to spring water leaks quite often.

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
          I'd say cooling management, not vapor management. What Harry says is
          true and a good advice. While you fix the condenser you can also
          make it longer to improve it's cooling capacity. Another alternative
          is to stuff a small piece of potscrubber to the end of the liebig to
          slow down vapor (it accelerates downstream) and allow better cooling.

          Cheers, Riku

          > A picture is not necessary. By his description he has a stock
          > standard Vapour Management still. All copper in contact with
          vapours
          > all the way through. Reflux coil on top. Vapour path to a liebig
          > condenser for product.
          >
          > What he did do is use a plastic outer sleeve on the liebig
          condenser
          > as the water sleeve. This has been done many times before. A
          method
          > of reducing build costs. However, as he has discovered, using a
          soft
          > plastic is not a good idea due to heating/softening/water-leakage
          > issues.
          >
          > Recommendation: Bite the bullet & use a copper sleeve that's
          properly
          > soldered. Copper-to-copper has no issues. Copper-to-stainless or
          > copper-to-plastic has issues. Stainless or PVC sleeves will work,
          but
          > there's always going to be leakage issues due to the different
          heat
          > expansion rates between copper and plastics, or copper and
          stainless
          > (the joins will crack). IOW, if using synthetic outer sleeve on a
          > liebig, expect it to spring water leaks quite often.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • bennalls1983
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
            <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

            Another alternative
            > is to stuff a small piece of potscrubber to the end of the liebig to
            > slow down vapor (it accelerates downstream) and allow better cooling.
            >
            > Cheers, Riku
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > A picture is not necessary. By his description he has a stock
            > > standard Vapour Management still. All copper in contact with
            > vapours
            > > all the way through.

            Thanks everyone for your comments

            Harry, you are correct. The vapour doesn't come into contact with
            anything other than copper. The plastic outer tube of the condensor
            was only because the hardware store didn't have the copper reducer I
            needed for a copper sleeve I have already built (I guess it pays to be
            patient). My copper condensor is also has a smaller diameter than the
            plastic so it might be more efficient.

            Riku, the potscrubber idea in the condensor is good. I will do this.
            As well as slowing the vapour it might help transfer the heat from the
            copper pipe to the centre of the condensor.

            I will take some photos and post once the camera batteries are
            charged. Next run will be in a couple of weekends... Oh well, it will
            be worth it in the end.
          • bennalls1983
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 16, 2007
              Well I managed to get my copper condensor on tonight and did a test/cleaning run with water. On full power with no scrubbers everything was being condensed, no steam at all. I did spring a leak with the condensor at the joints but fixed with no trouble. Tommorrows the night, so excited....