Re: Freezing before distilling

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hi all,

      Just for fun I put 2l of sugar wine (14%)into the freezer and let it
      freeze for three days. I just opened and poured out what was not
      frozen. I was left with just under 1l. of liquid

      Is that about right? (reduce by over 50%)? or do I need to let it
      thaw and drip some more?

      Gary

      P.S. I tried out my new alcometer and it just floated on top of the
      cold liquid so I figured it was too cold for any reading so I let it
      sit. At 20 C. it STILL floated on top! (Reading is below 0%)I tasted
      the stuff and would estimate over 25% by the taste. Do I have a bunch
      of leftover sugar? It doesn't taste that sweet but I'm a newbee.

      If it does have a lot of sugar left over wrecking my reading is this
      going to cause any other problems? (yukky burnt sugar in my boiler?)

      Gary