Re: [new_distillers] First Run Failure (sort of)

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
      At 02:44 AM 7/1/2007, you wrote:

      > Now I need to come up with a
      >better condensor design. I would like to use pipe for ease of
      >construction. Any suggestions would be appreciated? I was originally
      >going to go for PVC but couldn't get the right connections at Bunnings.

      I'd love to see a picture of your still with detail shots of
      connections, condenser etc. That way it might be possible to make
      practical suggestions for your consideration.

      Derek Hamlet
      Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for
      authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in
      places of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room.
      They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble food and
      tyrannize their teachers."

      - North America in 2007?
      -Guess again...Socrates (c. 470-399 BC)
      >:-}
    • tyler_97355
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
        First let me warn you. You will probably get about 20 replys yelling
        at you for using or even thinking about using plastic. The only thing
        that you should use plastic or rubber tubing for is water transfer to
        and from the condenser.

        As far as your condenser, it should not be belching out any steam at
        all. You may not have a fast enough water flow, or not enough cooling
        area. I believe the cooling effect only takes place within 1/8 inch of
        the surface. Therefor, a 1/4 inch inner diameter condenser should work
        best, depending on your power input. I use a 1/2 inch condenser, but
        mine is about 5 foot tall. If the inner diameter of your condenser is
        too big, some of the vapors will pass right through without getting
        any of the cooling effect.

        I would suggest that you read homedistiller.org over some more.

        -Tyler

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bennalls1983"

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...>
          wrote:

          > At 02:44 AM 7/1/2007, you wrote:
          >
          > > Now I need to come up with a
          > >better condensor design. I would like to use pipe for ease of
          > >construction. Any suggestions would be appreciated? I was originally
          > >going to go for PVC but couldn't get the right connections at
          Bunnings.

          > I'd love to see a picture of your still with detail shots of
          > connections, condenser etc. That way it might be possible to make
          > practical suggestions for your consideration.
          >

          > Derek Hamlet

          A picture is not necessary. By his description he has a stock
          standard Vapour Management still. All copper in contact with vapours
          all the way through. Reflux coil on top. Vapour path to a liebig
          condenser for product.

          What he did do is use a plastic outer sleeve on the liebig condenser
          as the water sleeve. This has been done many times before. A method
          of reducing build costs. However, as he has discovered, using a soft
          plastic is not a good idea due to heating/softening/water-leakage
          issues.

          Recommendation: Bite the bullet & use a copper sleeve that's properly
          soldered. Copper-to-copper has no issues. Copper-to-stainless or
          copper-to-plastic has issues. Stainless or PVC sleeves will work, but
          there's always going to be leakage issues due to the different heat
          expansion rates between copper and plastics, or copper and stainless
          (the joins will crack). IOW, if using synthetic outer sleeve on a
          liebig, expect it to spring water leaks quite often.

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
            I'd say cooling management, not vapor management. What Harry says is
            true and a good advice. While you fix the condenser you can also
            make it longer to improve it's cooling capacity. Another alternative
            is to stuff a small piece of potscrubber to the end of the liebig to
            slow down vapor (it accelerates downstream) and allow better cooling.

            Cheers, Riku

            > A picture is not necessary. By his description he has a stock
            > standard Vapour Management still. All copper in contact with
            vapours
            > all the way through. Reflux coil on top. Vapour path to a liebig
            > condenser for product.
            >
            > What he did do is use a plastic outer sleeve on the liebig
            condenser
            > as the water sleeve. This has been done many times before. A
            method
            > of reducing build costs. However, as he has discovered, using a
            soft
            > plastic is not a good idea due to heating/softening/water-leakage
            > issues.
            >
            > Recommendation: Bite the bullet & use a copper sleeve that's
            properly
            > soldered. Copper-to-copper has no issues. Copper-to-stainless or
            > copper-to-plastic has issues. Stainless or PVC sleeves will work,
            but
            > there's always going to be leakage issues due to the different
            heat
            > expansion rates between copper and plastics, or copper and
            stainless
            > (the joins will crack). IOW, if using synthetic outer sleeve on a
            > liebig, expect it to spring water leaks quite often.
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • bennalls1983
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
              <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

              Another alternative
              > is to stuff a small piece of potscrubber to the end of the liebig to
              > slow down vapor (it accelerates downstream) and allow better cooling.
              >
              > Cheers, Riku
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > A picture is not necessary. By his description he has a stock
              > > standard Vapour Management still. All copper in contact with
              > vapours
              > > all the way through.

              Thanks everyone for your comments

              Harry, you are correct. The vapour doesn't come into contact with
              anything other than copper. The plastic outer tube of the condensor
              was only because the hardware store didn't have the copper reducer I
              needed for a copper sleeve I have already built (I guess it pays to be
              patient). My copper condensor is also has a smaller diameter than the
              plastic so it might be more efficient.

              Riku, the potscrubber idea in the condensor is good. I will do this.
              As well as slowing the vapour it might help transfer the heat from the
              copper pipe to the centre of the condensor.

              I will take some photos and post once the camera batteries are
              charged. Next run will be in a couple of weekends... Oh well, it will
              be worth it in the end.
            • bennalls1983
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 16, 2007
                Well I managed to get my copper condensor on tonight and did a test/cleaning run with water. On full power with no scrubbers everything was being condensed, no steam at all. I did spring a leak with the condensor at the joints but fixed with no trouble. Tommorrows the night, so excited....