Re: [new_distillers] hatchling lurker inquiry

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2007
      Hi Greg,
      if it was possible to identify and quantify the flavour components of a
      particular drink, there would be a handful of identical clones for
      every famous brand on the market!

      The whole enjoyment of home distilling (as opposed to just buying the
      stuff) comes from the artful management of the fermentation and
      distillation to achieve just the right balance of purity versus flavour
      that the individual distiller is aiming for.

      Making pure ethanol is easy (when you get the hang of it), as is making
      undrinkable paint stripper. Somewhere between the two is the holy
      grail: the perfect drink.

      Read, read some more, then read it again. Then start experimenting: try
      for relatively easily achievable goals first (perhaps vodka, or gin)and
      then work up to the Glenfiddicks and what have you.

      You are starting out on a really enjoyable hobby!
      Welcome.
      Rob.

      --- Greg <morlock@...> wrote:

      > Big dreams, exotic tastes, no still
      >
      > wants to know:
      >
      > Given that, per
      > http://web.telia.com/~u05300250/Process_distillation.htm ,
      >
      > "There are a large number of flavour components originating from the
      > fermentation, called congeners, that contribute to the taste and
      > aroma and they should not be eliminated completely."
      >

      > Can congeners be measured as to quantity or even type ?
      >
      > How or with what device or method ?
      >

      > Rationale for question:
      >
      > I don't want to make pure alcohol;
      > I want to make highly flavorful brandy,
      > or, if necessary in order to learn to distill, whiskey.

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC