Re: hatchling lurker inquiry

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2007

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <morlock@...> wrote:

      > Big dreams, exotic tastes, no still
      >
      > wants to know:
      >
      >  Given that, per
      > http://web.telia.com/~u05300250/Process_distillation.htm ,
      >
      > "There are a large number of flavour components originating from the
      > fermentation, called congeners, that contribute to the taste and
      > aroma and they should not be eliminated completely."
      >

      > Can congeners be measured as to quantity or even type ?

      Yes.  Mostly in ppm (parts per million), which is 1 milligram per 1 litre.

      > How or with what device or method ?

      With a gas chromatograph and other very expensive hi-tech laboratory equipment.  Not for we amateurs to bother ourselves with, unless you've got a few hundred-thousand bucks to throw around.  But then you'd just buy a pub, no?  :)

      > Rationale for question:
      >
      > I don't want to make pure alcohol;
      > I want to make highly flavorful brandy,
      > or, if necessary in order to learn to distill, whiskey.

      All the info you'll need is already at your fingertips.
      Tony's site  http://homedistiller.org
      My site  http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
      and the group messages/archives.

      Dive in, get yer feet wet, then we'll see ya in a few days/weeks, depending on how fast you can read/absorb info.  :)

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 19, 2007
        Hi Greg,
        if it was possible to identify and quantify the flavour components of a
        particular drink, there would be a handful of identical clones for
        every famous brand on the market!

        The whole enjoyment of home distilling (as opposed to just buying the
        stuff) comes from the artful management of the fermentation and
        distillation to achieve just the right balance of purity versus flavour
        that the individual distiller is aiming for.

        Making pure ethanol is easy (when you get the hang of it), as is making
        undrinkable paint stripper. Somewhere between the two is the holy
        grail: the perfect drink.

        Read, read some more, then read it again. Then start experimenting: try
        for relatively easily achievable goals first (perhaps vodka, or gin)and
        then work up to the Glenfiddicks and what have you.

        You are starting out on a really enjoyable hobby!
        Welcome.
        Rob.

        --- Greg <morlock@...> wrote:

        > Big dreams, exotic tastes, no still
        >
        > wants to know:
        >
        > Given that, per
        > http://web.telia.com/~u05300250/Process_distillation.htm ,
        >
        > "There are a large number of flavour components originating from the
        > fermentation, called congeners, that contribute to the taste and
        > aroma and they should not be eliminated completely."
        >

        > Can congeners be measured as to quantity or even type ?
        >
        > How or with what device or method ?
        >

        > Rationale for question:
        >
        > I don't want to make pure alcohol;
        > I want to make highly flavorful brandy,
        > or, if necessary in order to learn to distill, whiskey.

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC