turbo 48 runs

  • just me
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18, 2007
      some one mentioned they were using half of a turbo 48 pack to 5 gallons
      of water. i marked the email and i think i deleted by accident. had a
      partial melt down and had to clear space on hard drive. i have spent
      the last two hours trying to find it. i believe it was harry.if anyone
      can repost anything about this i would be grateful.PS elrickos simple
      rum was great for my first attempt.would not recommend using jack
      Daniels wood chips for aging rum.lesson learned.
    • sn_cur
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18, 2007
        One of these two?

        http://homedistiller.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=909

        Arnie_sla
        Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:05 pm Post subject: 1/2 Turbo Pack

        I gave this a try the last sugar wash I made, and it worked fine.

        Instead of using a full pack of Turbo 48 for 25 litre sugar wash I only used half the pack.

        I added some tomato paste to the wash to make sure there was enough nutrients and
        figured that as the yeast multiples itself it shouldn't need any extra yeast.

        Well as I said it worked fine, and infact the amount of methanol and heads collected was
        less than when I use a full pack of Turbo 48.

        So from now on I will be getting two 25 litres of washes from one Turbo pack simply by
        adding a cheap can of tomato paste to each wash. I have basically saved the cost of a
        Turbo pack as I now get 2 washes for the price of one pack about $10 Aust. The tomato
        paste is about $1.50 for 250 gram jar which I used over two washes.

        I still add the same amount of sugar to the wash about 7 1/2 to 8 kgs.

        AND

        http://homedistiller.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4335

        Ole
        Tue May 15, 2007 8:19 pm
        Something I do with every run now that I use a turbo on:

        Just use half the packet of yeast with a full 6.5 gallons of mash. Also start off using about
        4-5lbs less sugar than you intend to use. Add the balance of the sugar on the 2nd or 3rd
        day.

        I never gets hot like it does if you use the whole package. It takes a week or two for it to
        finish (15-17% ABV) but the stuff tastes great right out of the still.

        AND

        I have successfully used this recipe 3 times now, it gives 40 litres at 12%:

        90 g pack of Turbo yeast (for 25 litre ferment)
        8 kg white sugar
        100 g tomato paste
        1/2 cup bran
        1/2 tsp Vegemite (or Marmite or Promite)
        1/2 tsp citric acid
        1/10 g of ascorbic acid
        Approx. 35 litres well aerated, potable water.

        Mix the tomato paste, bran, Vegemite, citric and ascorbic acid in 1/2 litre of boiling water.
        Separately dissolve 6 kg sugar in 5 litres hot water. Add both to fermenter and top up to
        37 litres with cold water. Aim for temp of 25-30 ºC. Add yeast. About 36 hours later
        carefully add the other 2 kg (dissolved in 2 litres of water).

        The ascorbic acid is only required if the water contains chlorine or chloramine, at a
        concentration of about 0.5-1 milligram per litre, which is a typical level for town water.
        (Adjust dose upwards if the concentration is higher.) There are other ways to de-chlorinate
        water, such as boiling (and then aerating), or passing it through a carbon filter.

        Cheers
        sn
      • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 19, 2007
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh" <Leigh.Murphy-
            Marsh@...> wrote:

            > Why? You'll get the same volume of alcohol with less messing around using just sugar
            and water at 25 liters.
            > Leigh.

            1) I have a 60 litre fermenter and a 50 litre boiler, so a 40 litre batch of ferment is just
            right, volume wise.

            2) I go for 12% because I live in the tropics and have to deal with heat stress on yeast, even
            heat tolerant yeasts have their limits. Running lower % ferments, staggering sugar, and
            using less Turbo than recommended helps a lot in keeping the ferment temp down, and
            the off tastes to a minimum. (And I prefer not to have to mess around with carbon
            treatment.) I am also saving on the cost of Turbos. The only downside is that I need to add
            some extra nutrients, and that is not exactly hard to do, all the additional nutrient
            ingredients are just common household stuff that I already had in my kitchen. The only
            thing I had to buy was citric acid from the local supermarket.

            I have tried a straight 25 litre Turbo wash like you suggested and it is harder to keep the
            temp down and there is a noticeable increase in off taste to the distillate. There is also
            actually a lower yield because the heat tolerant Turbos only go to 14%, and 14% of 25 is a
            lot less than 12% of 40.

            So that recipe works for me.

            Besides which, how much booze does a man need? 12% of 40 litres gives around 9-10
            litres of 40%, which is a shit load of alcohol.

            Cheers
            sn
          • just me
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 19, 2007
              the recipe stated that he got a cleaner product. if I remember correctly he said it took about 10 days to ferment.I don't remember how much sugar or if he added any thing else.I know half the required amount would make sense. why would more water with the same amount of turbo and sugar make a cleaner product? less stress on the yeast maybe? my next task is to find a substitute for vegamite in Dallas TX. my aussie friend said he doesn't have a source.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 19, 2007
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@...> wrote:

                > the recipe stated that he got a cleaner product. if I remember
                correctly he said it took about 10 days to ferment.I don't remember
                how much sugar or if he added any thing else.I know half the required
                amount would make sense. why would more water with the same amount of
                turbo and sugar make a cleaner product? less stress on the yeast
                maybe? my next task is to find a substitute for vegamite in Dallas TX.
                my aussie friend said he doesn't have a source.

                You don't need vegemite.

                Vegemite is only a yeast extract made from brewer's yeast sludge, a
                little celery & onion flavoring & 8% salt. It is one of the highest
                concentrations of B vitamins known.

                Salt is a severe retarder to live yeast activity so adding salt to a
                fermentation is not a good idea. It will increase the lag phase and
                you run the risk of letting infections get a hold.

                Make your own free B vitamin / yeast extract. Just boil the sludge
                from the bottom of your fermenter to kill & sterilise it. Keep it in
                the fridge a couple of days and the boiled solids will settle out from
                the excess water. Pour off the water. When you do a fermentation, add
                a cupful of the killed yeast cake to your 25 litre fermentation as the
                B vitamin source. You get all the B vitamins & lipids that live yeast
                needs, without the yeast-retarding salt and without the vegemite cost.

                Just a little advice from an Aussie (I grew up on vegemite).

              • just me
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 19, 2007
                  Thanks Harry.
                • enibnikrib
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 20, 2007
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@...> wrote:

                    > some one mentioned they were using half of a turbo 48 pack to 5 gallons
                    > of water. i marked the email and i think i deleted by accident. had a
                    > partial melt down and had to clear space on hard drive. i have spent
                    > the last two hours trying to find it. i believe it was harry.if anyone
                    > can repost anything about this i would be grateful.PS elrickos simple
                    > rum was great for my first attempt.would not recommend using jack
                    > Daniels wood chips for aging rum.lesson learned.

                    why would you not recomend using jack Daniels wood chips for aging?
                  • just me
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 20, 2007
                      because it gave the rum a off flavor. ii was the only wood i had so i had to play. i am waiting on some white oak,cherry, and apple.
                      my next rum batch i want to age part with some fruit.

                      ______________________

                      Hurra for the humble yeast, It makes the poor man feel like a king, And harlots look like queens. --
                    • enibnikrib
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 20, 2007
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@...> wrote:

                        > because it gave the rum a off flavor. ii was the only wood i had so
                        i had to play. i am waiting on some white oak,cherry, and apple.
                        > my next rum batch i want to age part with some fruit.
                        >

                        > ______________________
                        >
                        > Hurra for the humble yeast, It makes the poor man feel like a king,
                        And harlots look like queens. --

                        I let some store bought vodka set on some Jack Daniels chips an I gave
                        me a hangover. Have you experienced the same thing?
                      • just me
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 20, 2007
                          No I haven't. How long did you let it soak? What was the quality of the vodka? Was it a neutral spirit you made or store bought? Just curious.
                        • enibnikrib
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 20, 2007
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@...> wrote:

                            > No I haven't. How long did you let it soak? What was the quality of
                            the vodka? Was it a neutral spirit you made or store bought? Just curious.
                            >It was store bought cheap stuff vodka but the vodka it self, I had no
                            hangover. I did not char the chips anymore than what they were. I
                            have some now sitting on some that I did char more than what they
                            were, out of the bag. I like the flavor of the JD chips, kinda like a
                            lite version of JD. Have you seen the Utube video of the Rouge
                            distillery, if you haven`t it`s quite interesting, it was one of
                            Tylers posts.
                          • sonum norbu
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 21, 2007
                              Store bought likker tends to do that!! :)

                              SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                              http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

                              Powered by Outblaze
                            • just me
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 26, 2007
                                Sorry about the late reply. It was just what I was looking for.I haven't used it yet so I cant give results yet.Thank you. Once again sorry about the delay in my reply.