204F ?

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2007
      I recently made a 5 gallon wort for vodka. I used a clean fermenter,
      10lb of sugar, and about 1oz of baker's yeast. It bubbled for about 3
      weeks. When i tried to distill it today, the temperature went right up
      to 203-204. After about an hour, i collected 2 bottles. The
      temperature then went to 206, then shortly to 208. The alcohol i have
      in the 2 bottles are about 35% (70 proof US).

      My question is, why is it going up to 204f, and why am I not getting
      much out of it? I know that it could be a million reasons, and i'm not
      really giving much info, but just wondering if anyone has an idea.
      FYI: my hydrometer broke last week, so i have no idea what the ending
      SG was.

      -Tyler
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...>
        wrote:

        > I recently made a 5 gallon wort for vodka. I used a clean
        fermenter,
        > 10lb of sugar, and about 1oz of baker's yeast. It bubbled for
        about 3
        > weeks. When i tried to distill it today, the temperature went
        right up
        > to 203-204. After about an hour, i collected 2 bottles. The
        > temperature then went to 206, then shortly to 208. The alcohol i
        have
        > in the 2 bottles are about 35% (70 proof US).
        >
        > My question is, why is it going up to 204f, and why am I not
        getting
        > much out of it? I know that it could be a million reasons, and i'm
        not
        > really giving much info, but just wondering if anyone has an idea.
        > FYI: my hydrometer broke last week, so i have no idea what the
        ending
        > SG was.
        >
        > -Tyler

        Yeast food? pH? Aeration? Pitching temp? Ambient temp? These are
        some of the 'need to know' things. Without them, no idea. But a
        clue is the 3 weeks bubbling. This says that the yeast never got
        established as the dominant species. Therefore most of your
        fermentation was probably bacterial, likely lacto.

        Get that hydrometer replaced. It's your best friend when setting a
        wort. It does a whole lot more than just figure out if the ferment
        has stopped.

      • tyler_97355
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13, 2007
          OK, I just made a new batch today. I used 10lb of sugar into 5 gallons
          of water, which gave me the normal 1.092 SG. The PH is about 4.8,
          which i think is optimal.(had to add some lemon juice to get it there)
          I added yeast nutrient and some corn flakes. (making a poor mans
          whiskey. It works!) To that, I added about 1oz of rehydrated baker's
          yeast. The pitching temp is around 90. Maye i got it too warm this time.

          Anyway, I'll let it ferment for about a week and check the SG. Lets
          hope this one works. If not, maybe I will have to try pumping air into it.