Gas Burner

  • hoediddle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
      Hello,

      I've decided to build a small (8 litre) pot still using a pressure
      cooker. I was planning on running this off one of the cooker's gas
      burners in my kitchen.

      Would this be relatively safe to do?
      Will using a pressure cooker minimise the chance of any leaks?

      Thanks for any help.
    • lindsey_lucky
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hoediddle" <MryWl5@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I've decided to build a small (8 litre) pot still using a pressure
        > cooker. I was planning on running this off one of the cooker's gas
        > burners in my kitchen.
        >
        > Would this be relatively safe to do?
        > Will using a pressure cooker minimise the chance of any leaks?
        >
        > Thanks for any help.

        Well, I have a 16 quart pressure cooker, and an electric stove it
        worked for me no problem.
      • Jan Wouter Wouter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2007
          I've got a 6 liter pressure cooker still which I operate on a
          gasstove. I keep the kitchen hood on and the window ajar.
          Works pretty good.
          Jan Wouter

          2007/6/12, hoediddle <MryWl5@...>:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I've decided to build a small (8 litre) pot still using a pressure
          > cooker. I was planning on running this off one of the cooker's gas
          > burners in my kitchen.
          >
          > Would this be relatively safe to do?
          > Will using a pressure cooker minimise the chance of any leaks?
          >
          > Thanks for any help.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • tim smith

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hoediddle" <MryWl5@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I've decided to build a small (8 litre) pot still using a pressure
              > cooker. I was planning on running this off one of the cooker's gas
              > burners in my kitchen.
              >
              > Would this be relatively safe to do?
              > Will using a pressure cooker minimise the chance of any leaks?
              >
              > Thanks for any help.

              If your fairly handy and have a more than a basic understanding of
              science and engineering, then you can probably handle it. As others
              have mentioned, having a fire extinguisher handy is a MUST. And for
              the first couple of runs it should be in your hand, armed and ready
              ;o). Seriously, my first run, the unit overpowered and spewed a 95%
              ETOH geyser out the vent hole and ran down the column towards the open
              flame. I was lucky, it did not ignite. My point is, until you are
              very familiar with operating your unit, spews and maybe even geysers
              WILL happen so be ready to cut the throttle and extinguish the flames.
              NEVER EVER leave the unit unattended for more than 60 sec. That
              should be just enough time to run inside and take a pi55 and run back
              out. Have teflon tape handy to seal small leaks and make a plan to
              permanently fix those leaks for the next run. Open flame stills are
              not for the faint of heart or technically incompetent. There is a
              real danger involved. But then again that's part of the thrill for
              me. Risks can be managed if your smart about it.

              Todd K.
            • donald holcombe
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 19, 2007
                I use a 8qt stainless steel pressure cooker for small experimental batches.I had to take out the safety lock on the handle and plug it ,it leaked. I hooked the tubing to the giggler outlet and put the thermometer in the middle of the blow out plug. I run it slow and can get 130 proof with ease.I pressure tested it with water and flame checked it with a lighter.I pinched the locks to get a tighter seal and put a light coat of Veggie oil on the seal to keep it from twisting when you turn the top to lock it. NEVER had a problem with this system !