ADMIN MSG: Caution (was) Re: Globe and Mail article on distilling?

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 8, 2007
      There is tax on jam, but home jam making is legal. In the 19th century
      excise on alcohol provided 40% of the total tax income in Britain. It
      is less than a tenth of that now. Less in the E.U. Legalizing it in
      New Zealand and Ukraine has not bankrupted them!
      wal
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Wouter Wouter"
      <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

      > I don't know how the situation is in other countries, but in the
      > Netherlands there is a lot of tax on alcoholic beverages and also in a
      > lot of other European countries. That is the mean reason why home
      > distilling is illegal.
      > Home distilling is actually a tax offence.
      >
      > Jan Wouter

    • tyler_97355
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 8, 2007
        Alcohol is one of the highest taxed commodities in the United states.
        This is one of the reasons why the prohibition didn't last long here.
        The US government lost about $500 million per year in lost revenue.
        This is equivalent to about $5,642,936,240.01 in 2006. However, I'm
        sure that more people drink now than they do then. However, if the US
        legalized home distillation, I only see a very small dent in the $8.2
        billion they are making now. Home brewing and wimemaking are already
        legal, and yet most people who drink, do not make their own. I make my
        own liquor, but that doesn't mean I don't run down to the bottle shop
        every now and then to pick up a bottle of Bacardi.

        Will home distillation every become legal in the United States? I
        don't see the US government giving up a dime of the over $8 billion
        they make.

        Just my two cents worth.

        -Tyler

        > There is tax on jam, but home jam making is legal. In the 19th century
        > excise on alcohol provided 40% of the total tax income in Britain. It
        > is less than a tenth of that now. Less in the E.U. Legalizing it in
        > New Zealand and Ukraine has not bankrupted them!
        > wal
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Wouter Wouter"
        > <janwouter.mailgroups@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I don't know how the situation is in other countries, but in the
        > > Netherlands there is a lot of tax on alcoholic beverages and also in a
        > > lot of other European countries. That is the mean reason why home
        > > distilling is illegal.
        > > Home distilling is actually a tax offence.
        > >
        > > Jan Wouter

      • Gary Boyco
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 8, 2007
          "There is tax on jam, but home jam making is legal. In the 19th century
          excise on alcohol provided 40% of the total tax income in Britain. It
          is less than a tenth of that now. Less in the E.U. Legalizing it in
          New Zealand and Ukraine has not bankrupted them!"

          Well put Wal. This post points out another reason these laws are archaic and are slowly reforming around the world.

          Gary in Canada

        • greg tufts
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 8, 2007
            This individual is concerned with distillation of
            alcohol in Canada which at this time is illegal.
            Try this link and you will find proof of this,
            refered to as the Canada excise act.

            http://tinyurl.com/2ojygm

            This is a weighty document which states
            that you need a license to have anything to do
            with distillation.
            cheers
            greg

          • Andrew Bugal
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 8, 2007
              Australia hits you twice when you buy a bottle of booze - once with a "wine Tax" and then with GST (Goods and services tax) on the total.

              Went into the bottle shop the other day to pick up a few bottles of wine and couldn't help but notice that a bottle of simple Teachers scotch was $31.

              Nuff said?

              Bwyze

              Gary Boyco <fly_boy_bc@...> wrote:
              "There is tax on jam, but home jam making is legal. In the 19th century
              excise on alcohol provided 40% of the total tax income in Britain. It
              is less than a tenth of that now. Less in the E.U. Legalizing it in
              New Zealand and Ukraine has not bankrupted them!"

              Well put Wal. This post points out another reason these laws are archaic and are slowly reforming around the world.

              Gary in Canada

              How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in Australia? Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.