Re: [new_distillers] Re: how much?

  • Jan Wouter Wouter
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 8, 2007
      20 grams of sugar gives 1 cc of alcohol in the fermentation. So 1
      liter of 40% spirit
      is the equivalent of 800 grams of sugar.
      With the losses in the process it will probably indeed add up to about
      1 kilo to start with.
      With my simple stove-top pressure pan still I do get these yields.

      Jan Wouter

      2007/4/4, greg <gregtufts@...>:
      > Your quantity of usable likker will depend on the alcohol in your
      > batch not the size of your batch. I believe a good rule of thumb
      > is one liter of 40% to each kilogram of sugar (from a turbo yeast
      > package. I get about 6 or 7 quarts of 100 proof to each 5 gallon
      > batch. It will also depend on your method of distilation.
      > cheers
      > greg

    • gerryruiz1701
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 20, 2014

        How much good stuff should I get from appox. 4 liters of mash? I considered myself lucky to get a full 750 ml. (minus heads and tails) from almost a gallon of mash. Am I doing alright?

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 20, 2014
          You left out a great deal of information, but I average 33% on a striping run.  My heads, hearts, and tails average 70% abv.  If yours follows mine, then just over a liter on your stripping run, 500 ml to 750ml on your finish run if your are using a pot still.  A reflex will be in the neighborhood of 300 ml.

          Without knowing your starting abv., this is a guess at best using my past output as an example.

          Robert

          How much good stuff should I get from appox. 4 liters of mash? I considered myself lucky to get a full 750 ml. (minus heads and tails) from almost a gallon of mash. Am I doing alright?

        • Ric Cunningham
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 20, 2014
            at a 10% abv wash you will get 4000ml/10 = 400 ml

            --
            US Navy - 100% on watch
          • gerry ruiz
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 21, 2014
              Thanks Ric,

              It looks like I'm doing alright then.

              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 21, 2014
                Thanks Robert,

                Since I'm a novice I don't even know my start or end abv. but using your example, it looks like I'm averaging about 25%. I'm really just  going by taste and keeping only good stuff. I know I got to get a hydrometer and school myself but, for now I'm just having fun!

                thanks again!

                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                From: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:30:47 -0700

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 22, 2014
                  Hi!

                  I am new here - I am from Brasil. Here we can distill anything without any problems with the law.
                  Except drink and drive ... ;)

                  I have to say this equation of 4l/10%abv=400ml of 100% alcool. In a potstill you cannot have this 100% abv.

                  So, only a alcool hidrometer can tell you the correct. And it is good to also have a hidrometer of sugar/brix or Specific Gravity.

                  If you measure the initial brix when before casting the yeast and measure the final brix, before putting it to boil, the formula

                   (  ( 1.05  x  ( OG – FG )  )  / FG  )  / 0.79  x  100 = % ABV

                  Specific Gravity (OG or FG) = 1 +(0.004 x °Brix)

                  But it is a very good practice of a 4l mash, to discard 100ml of foreshot/heads, then keep 700-750 ml of hearts, and discard the tails.

                  But, no matter rhe hidrometer tells you, the tongue is the best evaluator.

                  So, when distilling, separate the incoming liquid in 50 or 100ml parts, then taste them and keep the good ones. But remember - do not use plastic cups - I have to hold myself too hard to not use this expendable plastic coffee 50ml cups!

                  Hugs from Brasil!

                  Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:30:47 -0700

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 24, 2014
                    Thanks for the good advice. And thanks for hosting some good games at the world cup Emoji

                    To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                    Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:30:47 -0700