Re: cleaning- blue haze

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
      wrote:

      > If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
      > should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?

      Baking soda is not a 'cure all' or magic bullet. It is useful for
      cleaning up a smelly faulty run with dissolved gases (off-smells) in
      it. Remember it raises pH, which may compound your problem if your
      faulty product is already neutral or slightly alkaline and your
      still has copper in it. You'd be better off using a bit of citric
      acid to set the pH slightly acidic, something below 7 like about 6.5
      to 6.

      Then redistil it, AFTER cleaning all your equipment. See msg
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/23979

      An ounce of fault prevention is worth a pound of cure.

    • mstehelin
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
        Hmmmm. I put baking soda in all stripped alcohol as a standard
        practice. I noticed that when the booze is stripped it comes out
        clear. It looks good. BUT When I add a couple of spoons of Baking soda
        it develops a blue haze that eventually settles into blue crystals.
        Could this be any copper ions in the liquid precipitating out?
        M.

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
        > > should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?
        >

        > Baking soda is not a 'cure all' or magic bullet. It is useful for
        > cleaning up a smelly faulty run with dissolved gases (off-smells) in
        > it. Remember it raises pH, which may compound your problem if your
        > faulty product is already neutral or slightly alkaline and your
        > still has copper in it. You'd be better off using a bit of citric
        > acid to set the pH slightly acidic, something below 7 like about 6.5
        > to 6.
        >
        > Then redistil it, AFTER cleaning all your equipment. See msg
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/23979
        >
        > An ounce of fault prevention is worth a pound of cure.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

      • oz_distiller
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 27, 2007
          I know it's an old thread....but I clean my gear with the hot slop,
          just throw all your bits in your boiler when you've finished the run.
          Don't forget to take your backins first though!

          AKA as CoopsOz from HD.org