Banana wash and run

  • Miroslava
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2007
      Hey guys, Greetings from the jungle.
      I have several questions on a banana wash i made a week agos. The
      results are not quite waht i expected, although my boyfriend is
      excited with the guaro.

      Banana wash* the facts
      40 lbs banana
      15 gallon water
      1 gallon of molasses
      5 kilos of white sugar
      one cup of lemon juice
      30 gr bakers yeast (2 gr per gallon)

      Fermented for one week. The wash had a sour taste, with the
      molasses coming first.
      I filtered the solids out of it and distillied 3 gallons of it
      with a pot still. got about half a liter in total.
      The taste has a sour top note, not nice, a yeasty smell and
      taste and a banana aftertaste very pleasant.
      Whats this sour taste and how can i rid my wash from it?_ is the
      yield correct? how can i get rid of this sour yeasty taste?
      I read also i could distill the wash putting fresh banana juice on
      the pot still.
      Help!
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Miroslava" <Mrin97@...>
        wrote:

        > Hey guys, Greetings from the jungle.
        > I have several questions on a banana wash i made a week agos. The
        > results are not quite waht i expected, although my boyfriend is
        > excited with the guaro.
        >
        > Banana wash* the facts
        > 40 lbs banana
        > 15 gallon water
        > 1 gallon of molasses
        > 5 kilos of white sugar
        > one cup of lemon juice
        > 30 gr bakers yeast (2 gr per gallon)
        >
        > Fermented for one week. The wash had a sour taste, with the
        > molasses coming first.
        > I filtered the solids out of it and distillied 3 gallons of it
        > with a pot still. got about half a liter in total.
        > The taste has a sour top note, not nice, a yeasty smell and
        > taste and a banana aftertaste very pleasant.
        > Whats this sour taste and how can i rid my wash from it?_ is the
        > yield correct? how can i get rid of this sour yeasty taste?
        > I read also i could distill the wash putting fresh banana juice
        on
        > the pot still.
        > Help!

        Sounds like a good recipe for hog food, not for stillin'. There's
        too much osmotic pressure which causes yeast stress and all sorts of
        problems. Just using the molasses as a nutrient source would not be
        sufficient for that brew. You'd need nitrates eg. DAP. The amount
        of yeast could have been 10 times what you used.

        The sour taste is most likely from Lactic Acid or Butyric Acid, due
        to bacterial infection which got established because the yeast cell
        count was too low to take over the wash.

        Here's a few thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em.

        There are some materials that are difficult to work with, and IMHO
        bananas is one of them. There's not much sugar in them. They're
        loaded with potassium (too much is bad for you), and they're full of
        fatty acids. The yield is pitiful for the amount of work.

        Now if you're aiming for a nice banana-flavoured schnapps or
        similar, then you're much better off distilling a sugar wash to a
        neutral product, then adding banana flavouring or essence. The
        storebought type works ok, and is available from most stiller's
        brewshops or over the internet.

        If you're really adventurous & know a bit about chemistry, you can
        make your own banana essence (and a few others too). It's really
        isoamyl acetate, which can be made by fischer esterification (slow)
        or in a microwave oven (fast). But it's strictly a chemistry
        student or graduate thing, not for amateurs to play with.

      • donald holcombe
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2007
          Did you Mash the Bananas ?The peel contains Enzymes. Check the Ph on Banana mashes.You may not need the Lemon.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2007
            Answers interspersed...

            Miroslava <mrin97@...> wrote:
            Hi Harry,
            Thanks very much for your answer. I take all the advice, all of it..
            Yes, im aiming for a banana flavored brandy, rum or schnapps, but i´d really like to use the banana fruit. Is there a way to obtain a reasonable yield,  and still get the aroma  of the fruit?

            In Africa they make a banana beer.  I'll give you the recipe (see below) but it will need a bit of modification to make something to distil eg no sorghum, and add 3 lemons per 5 gallons of mash for the acid (bananas are low in acid & yeast needs acid).

              Can a sugar wash, made into a  neutral spirit be redistilled with the fresh bananas ina a pot still?

            That would be my preferred method.  That way you know how much alcohol you're dealing with, no guesswork or poor yields.  Make neutral sugar alcohol, then water it down to 50% abv.  Peel & pulp the bananas, add them to the 50% alcohol volume for volume, ie 1:1 ratio.  Steep in a closed container for 2 days.  Distil once slowly in a potstill.  Collect by taste until you don't like the taste anymore.  Cut your product to about 30%abv with demineralised water   Add sweetener (glucose) if desired, or a bit of glycerin to thicken it like a liqueur.  I think this method will give the best results flavour-wise.

            According to what i read on the site, for schanpps one must use 2 gr or yeast per gallon. so should i be sing 300 gr?
            Id like to try again  with the banana, how can i  correct the  ingredients?  and overcome
            The result i got was not  entirely bad, being the yield the most critical factor. th aroma was present, and it was very pleasant.

            If you really must ferment the fruit, try boiling/cooking the pulp first, then add 1 volume of sugar and 4 volumes of water to 1 volume of banana pulp.  Add lemons (juice) at the rate of 3 per 5 gallons of mash.  Add DiAmmonium Phosphate (DAP, yeast food) @ 1 Ta/sp per 5 gallons.  Add yeast @ 100g per 5 gallons.  Potstill the wash, one strip run, then one slow 2nd distillation removing heads & tails and keeping the hearts.

            _I already got the pot distiller´s yeast, (ordered also  hydro and alcohometer, but they arrived smashed) but, due to mailing time, can i continue using baker´s yeast?

            Yes.

            I d like very  much to se tropical   fruits,  are pinaapple or mango better than bananas?

            All tropical fruits are difficult to work with, due to rapid spoilage, low yields and wildly varying acid levels.  Each has to be experimented with to achieve a good result.

            thasnk for your much needed help!
            Miroslava

            You're welcome.  That African beer recipe is below my signature.  If you get any good results, don't forget to post them back to the group.  Good luck.

             Banana beer

            Location of production
            Throughout Africa

            Product description
            Banana beer is made from bananas, mixed with a cereal flour (often sorghum flour) and fermented to an orange, alcoholic beverage. It is sweet and slightly hazy with a shelf-life of several days under correct storage conditions. There are many variations in how the beer is made. For instance Urwaga banana beer in Kenya is made from bananas and sorghum or millet and Lubisi is made from bananas and sorghum.
            Preparation of raw materials
            Ripe bananas (Musa spp.) are selected. The bananas should be peeled. If the peels cannot be removed by hand then the bananas are not sufficiently ripe.
            Processing
            The first step of the process is the extraction of banana juice. Extraction of a high yield of banana juice without excessive browning or contamination by spoilage micro-organisms and proper filtration to produce a clear product is of great importance. Grass is used as an aid in obtaining clarified juice.
            One volume of water is added to every three volumes of banana juice. This makes the total soluble solids low enough for the yeast to act. Cereals are ground and roasted and added to improve the colour and flavour of the final product. The mixture is placed in a container, which is covered in polythene to ferment for 18 to 24 hours. The raw materials are not sterilised by boiling and therefore provide an excellent substrate for microbial growth. It is essential that proper hygienic procedures are followed and that all equipment is thoroughly sterilised to prevent contaminating bacteria from competing with the yeast and producing acid instead of alcohol. This can be done by cleaning with boiling water or with chlorine solution. Care is necessary to wash the equipment free of residual chlorine as this would interfere with the actions of the yeast. Strict personal hygiene is also essential (Fellows, 1997).
            For many traditional fermented products, the micro-organisms responsible for the fermentation are unknown to scientists. However there has been research to identify the micro-organisms involved in banana beer production. The main micro-organism involved, is Saccharomyces cerevisiae which is the same organism involved in the production of grape wine. However many other micro-organisms associated with the fermentation have been identified. These varied according to the region of production (Davies, 1994).
            After fermentation the product is filtered through cotton cloth.

            Flow diagram
            Raw materials
            Ripe bananas
            Peel
            Peel by hand
            Remove residue
            Use grass to knead or squeeze out the juice
            Mix with water
            The water:banana juice ratio should be 1:3
            Mix with cereals
            Mix with ground and roasted cereals to local taste
            Ferment
            In plastic container. Leave to ferment for 18 to 24 hours.
            Filter
            Through cotton cloth
            Pack
            Store
            Packaging and storage
            Packaging is usually only required to keep the product for its relatively short shelf-life. Clean glass or plastic bottles are used. The product is kept in a cool place away from direct sunlight.

            always stay connected to friends.