Re: cleaning- blue haze

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
      wrote:

      > I Have been getting a blue haze from my wine runs. Could this be from
      > not cleaning? The wash is the left over dregs from wine making. I
      > can't see it been overly basic.

      Acids in contact with copper will give blue tinges, just not as
      pronounced or as quick as bases. Also be aware that copper sulphate
      can form in crystals and lodge in the condenser works & packing when
      the still is left idle for any length of time. Then the next run
      dissolves the crystals into your booze. That's why you should hose
      out the still and let it air-dry before storage.

    • mstehelin
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
        If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
        should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
          wrote:

          > If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
          > should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?

          Baking soda is not a 'cure all' or magic bullet. It is useful for
          cleaning up a smelly faulty run with dissolved gases (off-smells) in
          it. Remember it raises pH, which may compound your problem if your
          faulty product is already neutral or slightly alkaline and your
          still has copper in it. You'd be better off using a bit of citric
          acid to set the pH slightly acidic, something below 7 like about 6.5
          to 6.

          Then redistil it, AFTER cleaning all your equipment. See msg
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/23979

          An ounce of fault prevention is worth a pound of cure.

        • mstehelin
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
            Hmmmm. I put baking soda in all stripped alcohol as a standard
            practice. I noticed that when the booze is stripped it comes out
            clear. It looks good. BUT When I add a couple of spoons of Baking soda
            it develops a blue haze that eventually settles into blue crystals.
            Could this be any copper ions in the liquid precipitating out?
            M.

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
            > > should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?
            >

            > Baking soda is not a 'cure all' or magic bullet. It is useful for
            > cleaning up a smelly faulty run with dissolved gases (off-smells) in
            > it. Remember it raises pH, which may compound your problem if your
            > faulty product is already neutral or slightly alkaline and your
            > still has copper in it. You'd be better off using a bit of citric
            > acid to set the pH slightly acidic, something below 7 like about 6.5
            > to 6.
            >
            > Then redistil it, AFTER cleaning all your equipment. See msg
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/23979
            >
            > An ounce of fault prevention is worth a pound of cure.
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • oz_distiller
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 27, 2007
              I know it's an old thread....but I clean my gear with the hot slop,
              just throw all your bits in your boiler when you've finished the run.
              Don't forget to take your backins first though!

              AKA as CoopsOz from HD.org