Re: cleaning

  • pint_o_shine
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
      -->
      > Soak all parts in hot caustic soda solution for an hour. This
      In the USA this can be purchased under the name Arm and Hammer Washing
      Soda. It is also called sodium carbonate and can usually be purchased
      as "PH UP" in the pool section. Check the ingredients for sodium
      carbonate.
    • sgd2945
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
        Caustic soda is Sodium Hydroxide and is a very corrosive alkali
        soluble in water (gets very hot when added to water - must NEVER add
        water to caustic soda due to the violent chemical reaction which will
        splash the corrosive substance over a wide area) and should not be
        confused with Washing soda (Sodium Carbonate), a highly soluble, yet
        highly alkaline product.

        Stephen
        Canberra, Australia

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sgd2945" <sgd@...> wrote:

          > Caustic soda is Sodium Hydroxide and is a very corrosive alkali
          > soluble in water (gets very hot when added to water - must NEVER add
          > water to caustic soda due to the violent chemical reaction which
          will
          > splash the corrosive substance over a wide area) and should not be
          > confused with Washing soda (Sodium Carbonate), a highly soluble, yet
          > highly alkaline product.
          >
          > Stephen
          > Canberra, Australia

          That is correct. In the US it is called LYE. Make up the solution
          according to the directions on the container.

          Never add water to straight caustic, just as you never add water to
          straight acid. Do it the other way around ie. add the powder (or
          liquid) to the measured amount of water. This is standard procedure.

          More about caustic and its uses here (including as a brewing equipment
          cleaner)...
          http://www.chemistrystore.com/Caustic_Soda.htm

          More about copper welding/brazing here...
          http://brazing.com/techguide/procedures/copper_welding.asp

        • mstehelin
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
            I Have been getting a blue haze from my wine runs. Could this be from
            not cleaning? The wash is the left over dregs from wine making. I
            can't see it been overly basic.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
              wrote:

              > I Have been getting a blue haze from my wine runs. Could this be from
              > not cleaning? The wash is the left over dregs from wine making. I
              > can't see it been overly basic.

              Acids in contact with copper will give blue tinges, just not as
              pronounced or as quick as bases. Also be aware that copper sulphate
              can form in crystals and lodge in the condenser works & packing when
              the still is left idle for any length of time. Then the next run
              dissolves the crystals into your booze. That's why you should hose
              out the still and let it air-dry before storage.

            • mstehelin
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
                If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
                should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
                  wrote:

                  > If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
                  > should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?

                  Baking soda is not a 'cure all' or magic bullet. It is useful for
                  cleaning up a smelly faulty run with dissolved gases (off-smells) in
                  it. Remember it raises pH, which may compound your problem if your
                  faulty product is already neutral or slightly alkaline and your
                  still has copper in it. You'd be better off using a bit of citric
                  acid to set the pH slightly acidic, something below 7 like about 6.5
                  to 6.

                  Then redistil it, AFTER cleaning all your equipment. See msg
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/23979

                  An ounce of fault prevention is worth a pound of cure.

                • mstehelin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
                    Hmmmm. I put baking soda in all stripped alcohol as a standard
                    practice. I noticed that when the booze is stripped it comes out
                    clear. It looks good. BUT When I add a couple of spoons of Baking soda
                    it develops a blue haze that eventually settles into blue crystals.
                    Could this be any copper ions in the liquid precipitating out?
                    M.

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
                    > > should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?
                    >

                    > Baking soda is not a 'cure all' or magic bullet. It is useful for
                    > cleaning up a smelly faulty run with dissolved gases (off-smells) in
                    > it. Remember it raises pH, which may compound your problem if your
                    > faulty product is already neutral or slightly alkaline and your
                    > still has copper in it. You'd be better off using a bit of citric
                    > acid to set the pH slightly acidic, something below 7 like about 6.5
                    > to 6.
                    >
                    > Then redistil it, AFTER cleaning all your equipment. See msg
                    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/23979
                    >
                    > An ounce of fault prevention is worth a pound of cure.
                    >

                    > Slainte!
                    > regards Harry

                  • oz_distiller
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 27, 2007
                      I know it's an old thread....but I clean my gear with the hot slop,
                      just throw all your bits in your boiler when you've finished the run.
                      Don't forget to take your backins first though!

                      AKA as CoopsOz from HD.org