Re: cleaning

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4 6:17 PM
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jntmo11@...> wrote:

      > I put together my first still not sure how to clean the flocks and
      > other cried from the inside. any help would be appreciated thank
      you
      > from Jack

      Soak all parts in hot caustic soda solution for an hour. This
      removes soldering/brazing scale and flux residue. Then hose out the
      parts with your garden hose (stops the caustic action). Then
      assemble the still, charge it with equal parts water & white
      vinegar, and a handful of salt. Fire it up and steam it out (no
      condenser water). Allow to cool, then drain and hose out all parts
      again (stops the acid action). It should be ready for its maiden
      voyage. If storing, rinse with clean water and air-dry everything.

    • pint_o_shine
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4 7:24 PM
        -->
        > Soak all parts in hot caustic soda solution for an hour. This
        In the USA this can be purchased under the name Arm and Hammer Washing
        Soda. It is also called sodium carbonate and can usually be purchased
        as "PH UP" in the pool section. Check the ingredients for sodium
        carbonate.
      • sgd2945
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4 10:43 PM
          Caustic soda is Sodium Hydroxide and is a very corrosive alkali
          soluble in water (gets very hot when added to water - must NEVER add
          water to caustic soda due to the violent chemical reaction which will
          splash the corrosive substance over a wide area) and should not be
          confused with Washing soda (Sodium Carbonate), a highly soluble, yet
          highly alkaline product.

          Stephen
          Canberra, Australia

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5 12:32 AM
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sgd2945" <sgd@...> wrote:

            > Caustic soda is Sodium Hydroxide and is a very corrosive alkali
            > soluble in water (gets very hot when added to water - must NEVER add
            > water to caustic soda due to the violent chemical reaction which
            will
            > splash the corrosive substance over a wide area) and should not be
            > confused with Washing soda (Sodium Carbonate), a highly soluble, yet
            > highly alkaline product.
            >
            > Stephen
            > Canberra, Australia

            That is correct. In the US it is called LYE. Make up the solution
            according to the directions on the container.

            Never add water to straight caustic, just as you never add water to
            straight acid. Do it the other way around ie. add the powder (or
            liquid) to the measured amount of water. This is standard procedure.

            More about caustic and its uses here (including as a brewing equipment
            cleaner)...
            http://www.chemistrystore.com/Caustic_Soda.htm

            More about copper welding/brazing here...
            http://brazing.com/techguide/procedures/copper_welding.asp

          • mstehelin
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 5 5:10 PM
              I Have been getting a blue haze from my wine runs. Could this be from
              not cleaning? The wash is the left over dregs from wine making. I
              can't see it been overly basic.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 5 7:18 PM
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
                wrote:

                > I Have been getting a blue haze from my wine runs. Could this be from
                > not cleaning? The wash is the left over dregs from wine making. I
                > can't see it been overly basic.

                Acids in contact with copper will give blue tinges, just not as
                pronounced or as quick as bases. Also be aware that copper sulphate
                can form in crystals and lodge in the condenser works & packing when
                the still is left idle for any length of time. Then the next run
                dissolves the crystals into your booze. That's why you should hose
                out the still and let it air-dry before storage.

              • mstehelin
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 6 9:03 AM
                  If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
                  should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 6 1:59 PM
                    wrote:

                    > If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
                    > should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?

                    Baking soda is not a 'cure all' or magic bullet. It is useful for
                    cleaning up a smelly faulty run with dissolved gases (off-smells) in
                    it. Remember it raises pH, which may compound your problem if your
                    faulty product is already neutral or slightly alkaline and your
                    still has copper in it. You'd be better off using a bit of citric
                    acid to set the pH slightly acidic, something below 7 like about 6.5
                    to 6.

                    Then redistil it, AFTER cleaning all your equipment. See msg
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/23979

                    An ounce of fault prevention is worth a pound of cure.

                  • mstehelin
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 8 9:33 AM
                      Hmmmm. I put baking soda in all stripped alcohol as a standard
                      practice. I noticed that when the booze is stripped it comes out
                      clear. It looks good. BUT When I add a couple of spoons of Baking soda
                      it develops a blue haze that eventually settles into blue crystals.
                      Could this be any copper ions in the liquid precipitating out?
                      M.

                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
                      > > should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?
                      >

                      > Baking soda is not a 'cure all' or magic bullet. It is useful for
                      > cleaning up a smelly faulty run with dissolved gases (off-smells) in
                      > it. Remember it raises pH, which may compound your problem if your
                      > faulty product is already neutral or slightly alkaline and your
                      > still has copper in it. You'd be better off using a bit of citric
                      > acid to set the pH slightly acidic, something below 7 like about 6.5
                      > to 6.
                      >
                      > Then redistil it, AFTER cleaning all your equipment. See msg
                      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/23979
                      >
                      > An ounce of fault prevention is worth a pound of cure.
                      >

                      > Slainte!
                      > regards Harry

                    • oz_distiller
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 27 7:11 PM
                        I know it's an old thread....but I clean my gear with the hot slop,
                        just throw all your bits in your boiler when you've finished the run.
                        Don't forget to take your backins first though!

                        AKA as CoopsOz from HD.org